Chapter 2

Once dressed the following morning, Gemma leaves for school in her black 2002 Toyota Tacoma truck

This was the last gift Henry ever got for his daughter

This was the last gift Henry ever got for his daughter. He got it for her on her seventeenth birthday last Halloween, and he died the following Thanksgiving, the worst Newton thanksgiving ever.

Gemma parks beside Tyler Crowley's Jeep and she sees Mike's pout. His Dodge Ram truck is at the shop because he likes running the roads and ruining his engine. It's not Gemma's fault that she actually takes care of her truck.

"Awe, what's the matter, Mikey?" Gemma teases. "You miss blowing up your engine?"

"No, I wish I had your mad mechanical skills," Mike grumbles, jealously seeping through his words.

"Take auto shop then, brother," Gemma chirps and she sees Alice waving at her. Gemma raises an eyebrow and she saves using her fingers before she turns to Jess, who looks smug. "What's up with your face?"

Jessica gasps. "What do you mean?"

"You're smug," Gemma points out. "You're never smug."

"Oh, nothing," Jessica replies as the two friends head toward the school. "I heard that Emmett talked to you yesterday."

"We only bumped into each other while I was walking into the gym while he was leaving," Gemma claims.

"But you spoke, bright?" Jessica asks with a grin.

"Yes, we spoke," Gemma replies. "And then the girls whipped the guys butts at indoors soccer."

"Of course they did," Jessica muses, "you were on the team."

Chamberlin rolls his eyes at this. "Whatever."

"Oh, don't pout," Rosalie muses as Emmett looks between the two. "You know that annoying one's right. The only reason we won, because I'm holding back my vampire abilities, is Gemma Newton. Human's on fire on the floor."