Chapter 17

Gemma spent days attempting to imagine what was going to happen next, after Jasper's slip up and Bella's small papercut. But she couldn't even begin to prepare herself for Emmett leaving, Emmett and the test of the Cullens.

Gem was nowhere near ready to lose him, not after they declared their love for each other. She thought Emmett would always be there, be one of the constants in her life, not one of the ones that just... leave.

It's been a good twenty-four hours since the Cullens left Forks. Gemma has cried all she could for losing Emmett. She's hurting, she feels like a part of her is missing, and with Emmett gone, there is.

Karen listens as Gemma sniffles and she remembers Henry. She's called the school and asked them to excuse Gem from classes for a few days.

She knocks lightly on her daughter's door and she pokes her head in. Gemma's bloodshot eyes look up.

"Can I come in?" Karen asks, wanting to help her daughter feel better.

"Y-yeah," Gemma replies.

Karen enters the room and she walks over to the bed. She pulls a tissue from the box and she hands it to Gemma before she lays. Gemma wipes her eyes and blows her nose before snuggling with her mom.

"Do you remember when your father and I broke up for a while when you were fifteen?" Karen asks softly as she rubs her hand up and down Gemma's arm.

"Ye-yeah," Gemma replies. "It was after a big fi-fight. Your big-biggest fight ever."

"Yeah," Karen replies. "We were broken up until you were nearly seventeen. You know what brought us back together?"

"Wha-what?" Gemma inquires.

"Our love," Karen replies. "The love your father and I had for each other is what brought us back. Do you love Emmett?"

"Ye-yes, I do," Gemma replies.

"And does he - nevermind, I know he loves you, I know because he looks at you the way your father would always looks at me when he thought I couldn't see," Karen coos. "No matter how long you two are apart, my love, no matter how far he is, if that love is as real as I believe it is, it will bring him back at some point or another. You take the time to cry and wallow because you've earned that, but don't let this heartbreak consume you, okay?"

Gemma sniffles and she wipe her nose. "Okay."

"I love you, my love," Karen coos.

"I love you, too, mom," Gemma replies.

Karen kisses Gemma on the forehead before she stands. "Remember; if the love is real, he'll come back."

Gemma smiles weakly at her mom. Karen smiles lovingly at her little girl before she leaves, and closes the door behind her.
🌚🌚🌚

Gemma picks herself up out of her bed after a few more hours of crying and she goes to the bathroom. She's ready to pull herself together like her mom did. She turns the hot water on and she removes her clothes in a rush, suddenly feeling as if she can't breath in them.

Gem wore them the day Emmett broke it off to leave town with his family, which was just yesterday. Gemma felt suffocated in them. Gemma steps under the steaming hot water once she has some cold water running. Gemma tilts her head back and let's the water glide down both her long, blonde hair and her beautiful face as she attempts to wash her demons away.
🌚🌚🌚

"Alice," Emmett speaks, feeling miserable, while they sit in the house in Denali, Alaska. "Have you seen anything about Gemma?"

"No," Alice claims. "Not since I saw her getting out of bed for the first time since we left."

"She's strong, Emmett," Rosalie claims as Eleazar Denali watches them. "She'll survive this world, with or without us."

"Is Gemma the one you left behind?" Eleazar asks curiously.

Emmett nods his head. "Gemma Newton. Blonde hair, bright blue eyes..."

"Gave him a run for his money," Chamberlin comments as he sits between Kate and Tanya Denali on the couch. "Gemma might have been human, but she was family; no matter how many times she beat me at sports."

"Someone beat you at sports?" Irina Denali asks with a scoff as Laurent enters the room. "I find that hard to believe."

"Well, it was in school," Chamberlin says.

"Don't make that excuse," Jasper says from a dark corner. "Gemma could take you outside of school, too."

Irina smiles. "Is that right?"

"No, of course not," Chamberlin replies quickly.

None of the Cullens were surprised to see Laurent there. Carlisle mentioned it to him and he came here, and now he's with Irina.

"Gemma was the other human at the game, right?" Laurent asks curiously, and thr others look at him. "Victoria... she knew she was human."

Emmett cracks his neck and he stands. "I need to hunt."

"I'll join to," Carmen, Eleazar's mate, says as she leaves the useless kitchen. "Irina, Laurent?"

Irina, Laurent, Carmen, and Emmett all leave the Denali cabin and go for a hunt.
🌚🌚🌚

Karen smiles proudly when Gemma comes downstairs in some same clothes, boots, a hat and with her ice skates in her hands. Karen, Gemma, and Mike all leave and they go to the ice skating rink in Port Angeles.