Chapter 3

Emmett stares at the ice like it's the most evil think on the planet

Emmett stares at the ice like it's the most evil think on the planet. He asked Gemma to meet him at the ice skating rink in Port Angeles since Chamberlin told him that his blood singer's athletic.

Gemma skates up to the end of the rink where he's at. "Are you scared of a little ice, Emmett?"

"What? No, don't be ridiculous," Emmett grumbles.

"Then come on," Gemma teases and Emmett gives her a look. "Here," Gemma holds out her hand that has a white glove on it. "I'll help you."

Emmett pouts a little before he listens and takes Gemma's gloved hand. He steps onto the ice and he goes to fall, but Gemma helps him keep his balance. Gemma starts out slow, keeping his hand in hers and they skate.

They had gotten something to eat before coming ice skating. They left Gemma's truck here and Emmett drove her to an Italian restaurant and they talked. They got to know each other. The main thing Emmett left out is his immortality. He isn't ready to scare her off yet.

"Are you ready to try this on your own now, Emmett?" Gemma asks, she doesn't even attempt to hide the amusement in her tone as Alice and Jasper walk in to the rink, Alice wanted to skate.

Jasper holds his hand out and he stops his mate, he points to Emmett and Gemma.

"I think so," Emmett replies.

Gemma and Emmett meet eyes as she lets go.

"Catch me if you can!" Gemma sings before she skates off.

Emmett's baffled while Alice giggles. She goes to rent her skates while Jasper sits and watches as Emmett slips amd slides all over the ice while Gemma skates by him tauntingly a few times before she stops to help him once more while Alice steps onto the ice and skates around like an ice princess, and she steals Jasper's eyes away from Emmett and his blood singer.

"You're good at this," Emmett claims as they skate slowly on the ice.

"My dad used to bring me here every year on my birthday since my sixth," Gemma claims with a smile. "I was terrified when I first started, but once I got the hang of it... I loved it. I got into other sports, too. Basketball, soccer, baseball, hockey... but then my dad died last year, on Thanksgiving."

"I'm sorry," Emmett claims as they get off the ice and change their shoes. "What happened? If that's not too much to ask..."

"An idiot was driving his semi while drunk, hit my dad head on," Gemma claims. "They said he died on the scene, and instantly, too. He felt nothing. No pain."

"Who's the oldest between you and Mike?" Emmett asks.

"I am," Gemma replies. "I was born in October of 1987, and he was born ten months later in 1988. Mom and dad were busy bees."

Emmett laughs as they turn in their shoes. "Sounds like it."

The two walk out to their vehicles.

"Where are you headed now?" Emmett asks Gemma, knowing he's going home to hunt for the rest of the weekend.

"Probably to my mom's store, help her out like I usually do," Gemma replies.

"Can I ask you for a teeny-tiny favor?" Emmett asks and Gemma raises an eyebrow. "Don't tell anybody about this."

"What, that you were scared of the ice or just couldn't skate?" Gemma teases. "Don't worry. I won't embarrass you unless you embarrass me first, Emmett Cullen."

"Mm, deal," Emmett replies. "Drive safe going to the store."

"You be safe, too," Gemma replies.

Gemma climbs into her truck and she removes her gloves before staring the engine. She turns the heater on. Even when Emmett drives on, Gem sits there until the heat turns hot and turn she heads back to Forks.