Chapter 36

GEMMA IS LEANING AGAINST EMMETT IN THE LIVING ROOM, a watching the news with him, Jasper, and Carlisle

"Seattle is in a state of terror," the news reporter claims. "Police are baffled by the escalating murders and disappearances."

Bella and Edward enter the room.

"Theories range from a vicious new gang to a wildly active serial killer," the reporter continues. "Reporting live, Dawn Chubai. CNN."

"It's getting worse," Carlisle speaks up. "We're going to have to do something."

"It takes more than one of our kind to cause the damage they're reporting," Jasper claims. He glances at Gemma before continuing. "Quite a few more. They're undisciplined, conspicuous..."

"Newborns," Gemma breathes.

"You're different, you have people to help," Carlisle reassures her.

Gemma nods. She knows this.

"What, like Gemma?" Bella asks. "New vampires?"

"In their first few months after the change," Edward says.

"That's when we're at our most uncontrollable, vicious, insane with thirst," Jasper says. "Gemma here is getting better. She can be in the same room as you and not hold her breath. That's progress."

"You're not funny," Gemma says.

"Wasn't meaning to, darlin'," Jasper muses and he looks at the tv screen. "No one has trained these newborns like we have Gem; but this isn't random."

"Someone's cresting an army," Carlisle says softly, and Jasper nods.

Emmett jumps up off the couch, making Gemma get odd of him. "Oh, now we're definitely going to Seattle."

"An army of vampires?" Bella asks, fear raking her bones.

'And they've been created to fight someone," Jasper adds.

"We're the only clan even close to Seattle," Edward says.

"Regardless, of who they were may, if we don't put a stop to it, the Volturi will," Carlisle chimes in. "I'm surprised they've let it go on this long."

"Maybe they're behind it," Edward claims. "In Italy, I read Aro's mind... he wants me and Alice to join him. Our gifts would up his power. He knows we'd never choose him as long as our family is still alive. An army could solve that for him."

"We can't wait two errors for graduation;" Bella declares.

Gemma growls, knowing what Bella is referring to, and she storms out of the house and speeds into the woods for a hunt before she kills Bella. Jasper sighs.

"You'd be a liability as a newborn," Jasper tells her. "Unable to control your instincts. An easy target."

Emmett sighs and he gets up. He claps a hand against Chamberlin's shoulder as the vampire enters and he rushes out to find Gemma.