Chapter 23

Bella, Jacob, and Gemma are driving through La Push after leaning an auto yard

Bella, Jacob, and Gemma are driving through La Push after leaning an auto yard. Gemma is verbally teaching Jacob about crankshafts as he looks at a grease-blackened one they got crump the auto yard that Billy told Gemma about; she had all of her parts prior to working on her bike - she bought them herself.

"We got lucky at the dump," Jacob claims once Gemma finishes her explanation, he is sitting in the middle of Gemma and Bella.

Bella and Jacob talk until she sees four guys on a cliff.

"Is that... Sam Uley?" Bella asks.

Gemma follows Bella's eyes and she spots him. He's gotten buffer since she saw him that day at First Beach.

"And his cult," Jacob replies bitterly.

Suddenly, two guys throw one off a cliff. Bella slams on the breaks and junos out of the truck. Jacob and Gemma look at each other before getting out and follow her.

"They're not really fighting, Bella," Jacob tells her when she begins to panic. "They're cliff diving."

"What, on purpose?" Bella asks in outrage.

"Scary as hell, but a total rush," Jacob replies.

Paul goes to the edge and he jumps after taking a running start. He does a twist and a cartwheel on the way down. Gemma let's out a clap, even though they can't hear her. Bella is intrigued by the potential idea for adrenaline and seeing her illusion of Edward.

"Most of us jump from lower down," Jacob claims.

"I want to!" Gemma exclaims.

"And that doesn't surprise me," Jacob muses.

"Think I could?" Bella asks.

"First motorcycles, now cliff diving?" Jacob asks Bella; he's surprised by her, but not really by Gemma.

"You said it was a rush," Bella claims.

"Maybe on a warmer day, and not from the top," Jacob replies, to both of them. "We'll leave showing off to Sam and his disciples."

Bella noticed the bitterness of his tone. "You don't like them."

"They think they run this place," Jacob claims. "Acting all badass, calling themselves 'protectors'."

"What are they protecting?" Gemma asks curiously as someone else watches close to the edge.

"The tribe, the land, their right to be jerks," Jacob replies. "Embry used to call the hall monitors on steroids; now look at him."

Gemma's jaw clenches when she sees that it's Embry at the edge of the cliff. She cannot believe he ditched Jacob, and her, for Sam and his little gang.

"That's Embry?" Bella gasps. "I didn't recognize him. What happened to him?"

"He missed some school - and then, out of nowhere, he's following Sam around. Same thing happened with Paul and Jared, they weren't even friends and know Sam owns them," Jake says and his face falls in defeat. "Sam keeps giving me this look, like he's waiting for me or something; it's kinda freaking me out."

Gemma ignores them as she watches Sam walk over to the edge. Gem walks over to the guard rail along the road and Sam literally looks right at her. Even from where he is, he sees the awe and want in her bright, shiny blue eyes as she watches. Sam smirks slightly to himself before he dives.

"Gemma!" Bella yells, and Gemma looks at her. "I've been calling your name for five minutes."

"Sorry," Gemma murmurs and she walks back toward them. "That looks like a ton of fun."

Jacob chuckles and they get into the truck.
🌚🌚🌚

That night, Gemma eats dinner with Karen and Mike before she goes upstairs to work on her homework before school tomorrow.