𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Phoenix's first weeks inside District 13 went by slowly

Phoenix's first weeks inside District 13 went by slowly. Even in her exhausted state, she could tell everyone was stepping on eggshells around her. No one dared mention the games or Finnick anytime they were inside the same room as Phoenix. Being that none of them wanted the same reaction from her as the first day she was faced with Finnick. They couldn't risk Phoenix being sent back to square one. Especially with the progress, she had been making in the weeks. It was nothing drastic, yet compared to Peeta Mellark, it was a start.

While inside District 13, Phoenix was rarely ever alone, whether it was one of the doctors and nurses or Canary and Maeve, there was almost always someone with her. For Phoenix, this meant that it was so much harder to get lost in her thoughts. And the times where she felt herself slipping away, it was almost as if someone was always there to bring her back. Making sure she always knew that she was safe and far away from the Capitol.

And unlike Peeta and Johanna, Phoenix began believing it. Maybe it was because Phoenix had Maeve and Canary there, people who she knew she could trust no matter what. While Johanna and Peeta had no one. With Johanna's family being killed by President Snow years before. While Peeta's family was killed in the bombing of District 12, all of this still being unbeknownst to Peeta.

But lucky for Phoenix, Maeve was able to get Canary out of District 5 before anything could happen to her. Meaning it was Canary who was by Phoenix's side most days. With Maeve even taking on some of Canary's workload to make sure Canary was there when Phoenix needed her. And Phoenix appreciated every second she had Canary by her side. She listened to the stories Canary told her about them as children, most being from a time when Phoenix was too young to remember. Stories about her parents, the two people who the girls lost so early in their lives. For Phoenix, it felt as though she was getting a part of herself back piece by piece.

Yet it was the night time that Phoenix dreaded the most. As much as they tried to put Phoenix to sleep with different medicines, it didn't stop the nightmares. But there was something different about all of these ones compared to the ones she had inside the Capitol. The major difference is that she remembered those ones, with them being almost too traumatic to forget. While each time she woke up from a nightmare inside District 13, she almost immediately forgot what occurred in the nightmare that had just woken her up.

But that didn't mean she slept soundly.

Canary Flack watched her sister as she began waking up. She could see Phoenix tossing and turning in her sleep. Canary could tell Phoenix was having some sort of bad dream and as much as she wanted to wake her up, she couldn't. Since she had been told that doing something like that might have a violent outcome. Meaning Canary had to watch Phoenix slowly wake up from her nightmare.

Phoenix woke up with a gasp, feeling herself becoming anxious at the unfamiliar surroundings. But one look at Canary and reality set into her. " Hey, it's just me. This is all real, I promise. " Canary wasted no time saying this, the words coming out of her mouth seconds after Phoenix woke up. Seeing her sister made Phoenix feel comforted, but as she tried to relax into the bed, she realized something about herself. More specifically about the nightmare she had. She remembered it.