𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Phoenix collapsed inside Finnick's arms the moment the sedative finally set in

     Phoenix collapsed inside Finnick's arms the moment the sedative finally set in. The man wasted no time picking her up, holding her close to him as he stood up. Each remaining member of the unit knew that they didn't have much time before the PeaceKeepers arrived. And there was no way Finnick could ever leave behind Phoenix. Meaning he hoisted Phoenix up as he began running, with her arms and part of her chest slightly over his shoulder.

The squad ran from the still slightly blazing fire that had just killed everything in its path. Finnick ignored the sickness in his stomach as he ran far away from where Canary and Maeve were just killed. Knowing at this moment his only priority was keeping him and Phoenix alive. Finnick simply felt like everything around him was moving faster than he could comprehend. But he pushed past it, hoping that it wouldn't be too long before they got to safety.

The adrenaline running through Finnick now made Phoenix feel as light as feather inside his strong arms. But it was the moment the first round of gunshots blared that his hand flew to the back of her head. The gunshots seemed to have made the group run faster through The Capitol. Each person ducking and dodging each bullet that came at them from the PeaceKeepers.

Yet, a mysterious beam of light was a bigger problem than the gunshots coming from the PeaceKeepers. Messalla was the one who unknowingly met his end under the beam of light. It causing him to disintegrate right in front of Finnick's eyes. Finnick cursed under his breath, now knowing that this was just another thing he had to protect not just himself from but Phoenix too. The unit now began dodging both the beams and the gunshots, as if their life depended on it. Because it did.

Finnick began feeling almost helpless, the more he avoided each attack on his life. He cursed himself at the fact that he was doing this all weaponless. Since his triton and Phoenix's knives were now long gone. This left him with whatever bullets were in his gun, even if he wouldn't be able to get to them now.

The last remaining members of the unit heard another string of loud noises coming from behind them. And for a moment, Finnick couldn't even bring himself to look, but when he did, he immediately regretted it. Another problem had arisen, with the ground falling apart and quickly catching up to them. Finnick held Phoenix closer to her chest as he continued to run while dodging everything else that came at them.

Finnick hoisted the still heavily sedated Phoenix higher on his shoulder, his hands shaking slightly on the small of her back. He kept his eyes straight, being in towards the front of the unit that was running for their lives. Yet the noise of the concrete crumbling behind them only made Finnick more anxious. Knowing that if he died because of this, that Phoenix would be dying right by his side.

As much as Finnick wanted to look back, to see how close he was cheating death, he didn't. He just kept running. It was the moment he saw a large red stripe on the ground that only made him run faster. The only thing he could do was hope that this meant the end. That once he crossed that line with Phoenix in his arms, all this would be done. Finnick took one final step over the line and turned around, seeing Katniss and Peeta following closely behind.