𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

After what felt like years' worth of explosions, gunshots, and flames, it was finally over

     After what felt like years' worth of explosions, gunshots, and flames, it was finally over. Snow had been captured and the war was over. And as much as Phoenix told herself it was done, none of this seemed to be real. It felt almost wrong to hear about the war being over without Maeve and Canary by her side. They had contributed so much, and yet they weren't there to see it end. It simply just wasn't fair. Yet, neither was war itself.

It was days after Snow had been captured that Phoenix heard what happened to Primrose Everdeen. And with the news, her heart sank deep into her chest. She was so young, had such a promising future ahead of her, now all gone. If anyone else had deserved to see the other side of the war it would be sweet, innocent, Primrose Everdeen.

The news made Phoenix think about Katniss a lot.

Phoenix didn't have to imagine what Katniss was feeling. Since Phoenix Flack knew all too well what it felt like to lose a sister, especially to watch it happen just as she heard Katniss had. Although time had passed since Canary's death, Phoenix still felt the pain in her chest every day. Something that was now quite fresh to Katniss. And something that both Katniss and Phoenix wished would stop, even though it never did.

However, now the days seemed to pass just as they did while being inside District 13. Slow at first yet somehow before Phoenix knew it, a week had passed, then a month, almost like nothing.

Phoenix now finds herself walking in between Annie and Finnick through the halls of the mansion. She holds back the urge to vomit as the memories from her time here come back to her. She keeps her eyes straight, afraid of what would happen the second she looks at anything else. The sound of their shoes hitting the pavement was the only thing heard as Annie looked up at Phoenix.

Annie wasn't dumb, she knew before looking at Phoenix's face that this was hard on her. Although Annie didn't have the same experience inside the Capitol as Phoenix, being here still made her anxious. Looking at Phoenix's face for a moment, Annie grabs onto her hand, giving it a soft squeeze. The contact made Phoenix look down at the red-haired girl who was looking slightly up at her. Annie's face alone causing a soft look to spread across Phoenix's face, knowing none of this was easy for Annie either.

The doors neared them and Phoenix felt her palms beginning to get clammy. She really didn't know why they were here, but by Finnick and Annie's presence, Phoenix had an idea as to who was behind the door. Yet she still braced herself as the door in front of them was opened. The remaining victors were on the other side of the door, each staring back at them.

Looking around the room Phoenix saw all the familiar faces, each a bit confused as to why they were all together. It was Haymitch, Peeta, Beetee, Johanna, and even Enobaria all inside the large room. President Coin was there too, a satisfied look on her face as she saw the three enter the room. " Just in time. " She said, but getting no response in return. Yet there was no sign of Katniss. With Phoenix assuming she had to be close behind. Knowing there was no way Coin would have a meeting with the past victors without Katniss. It didn't matter how much Coin disliked her she knew she needed her.