𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

Phoenix heard the talking around her as she tried to fight off the sedative that had begun wearing off

     Phoenix heard the talking around her as she tried to fight off the sedative that had begun wearing off. Her throat was dry as she tried her hardest to make any type of sound to signal to whoever was around that she was awake. The longer she tried, the more the sedation wore off. Meaning that Phoenix began more and more aware of what had just occurred. Yet she felt herself being back at square one, she just didn't know what was real.

The memories came back in flashes. Quick glimpses of her and Finnick fighting the mutts combined with the blazing fire that killed Canary and Maeve. The thought of her sister and mentor made Phoenix's eyes snap open. The first thing Pheonix saw was Finnick. His green eyes wide as he looked down at her. He immediately notices how quickly her body tensed up upon finally breaking free of the sedation. However, Finnick was still slightly surprised at how she woke back up.

" Nixie. " Finnick muttered, running his hands through her hair, in an attempt to calm her down. He couldn't have her lashing out again, he just couldn't. Phoenix's brown eyes were darting back and forth trying so desperately to focus on one thing. Each breath she took was shaky as if she was trying to catch it.

Phoenix's chest began to rise and fall, each breath slightly quicker than the one before. Her eyes finally focused on Finnick and he could see just by her eyes that she was begging for help. Just by looking at Phoenix, Finnick could tell she was having an internal battle with herself, one Phoenix herself didn't know if she would win. His hand moved up to cup her cheek, his thumb moving to caress her face.

Finnick's touch noticeably soothed Phoenix as she relaxed a bit into his touch. Yet each breath she took was shallow and quick, feeling like her lungs were going to collapse at any moment. But it was Phoenix's heartbeat that worried her, beating so fast and loud Phoenix was sure Finnick could hear it.

While Finnick was sure there was a good chance that most eyes were on him if not all. Yet he simply didn't care. His main focus was on Phoenix and at this moment, nothing and no one mattered to him more. " Hey, hey, hey. " His voice was soft, using a similar tone to when he talked to Peeta throughout the mission.

Phoenix tried to catch her breath, needing the questions she had in her head to be answered. She placed her hand on top of Finnick's, before trying to calm down enough to speak. " What happened? " She finally stuttered out, hoping the memories in her head were lying to her as they had done so many times before.

" I need you to calm down first. Okay? " Finnick questioned, wanting her to be less overwhelmed before he reminded her of what had happened to Canary and Maeve. Yet his words told Phoenix all she needed to know. All the pieces were right in front of her, she just didn't want to put them together.

She knew well enough that if Maeve and Canary were here they would be right next to Finnick's side. Hovering over Phoenix to make sure she was okay, making sure she knew that they were alive and well. And as Phoenix looked up at only Finnick, she knew that everything that was going on in her mind was true.