Chapter 4- A Secret Mission

The look on Thomas's face is enough to make me want to collapse to my knees and sob. Something inside me feel like this is my fault. I should have kept an eye on him but instead, I was distracted.

"W-what do you mean he was?" Newt demanded,  I can tell that he was upset, he was angry. 

"Newt" I began, placing a hand on the boy's shoulder in an effort to at least calm him down, "Newt it's not his fault, it was no one's fault" I continued.

Newt glanced back at me, his jaw clenched in anger. It's clear that he wanted to lash out at Aris, for not looking out for Minho and making sure that he was in the train carriage all the time. 

Fighting and arguing are not what we need right now, fighting will tear us apart and if we aren't united together. We may never get Minho back.

I wonder what Newt would think of me if he knew that it was not Aris that should have kept an eye on Minho but me instead. Would he hate me?, loathe me because I jeopardise the plan by not paying attention?

Eventually, after a few moments of tense silence, Newt nod sombrely, casting his gaze back to Aris and Sonya.

"(Y/n) is right" Brenda piped up, making her way from her position at the back to the front.

Just like Nova, the long and strenuous months had seemed to take a tol her as well. Her short buzzcut had now grown down to her shoulders, her skin is like paper and large black circles have formed underneath her eyes.

It's peculiar how she has managed to survive for so long, the crank bite should have killed her months ago.

"Nobody is to blame for failing to get Minho" Brenda explained, folding her arms across her chest before she turned to Aris.

"Do you know anything else about this city that they were being taken to?" Brenda questioned, crouching down in front of Aris and Sonya, looking up at them with pleading eyes.

WCKD would never tell us where they were taking us, we were never in the same place for more than a week, and were never in the same place more than once. It seemed as though WCKD's bases of operations were everywhere.

As Brenda, Sonya and Aris conversed, I used my hands to push myself up off the ground and make my way over to Jamie. She probably had gotten bored during our conversation as she was entertaining herself, throwing rocks at the wall.

"Hey," I said, tapping her shoulder gently which causes her to jolt around in shock however when she registers that it's just me, she relaxes.

"Is everything okay in there?" Jamie questioned, her eyes flicking past me to see what the others were talking about back inside.

I pressed my lips gently together, I didn't want to upset Jamie and tell her the mission to get Minho back was a failure, but she had never had the chance to meet Minho. She only heard stories about him.

So I decided to lie to her.

"Yeah everything's okay" I lied folding my arms across my chest, "Why don't you go see if you can get some food for the both of us okay?".

Jamie, however, scoffed, shaking her head with a sly smile pulling at the corners of her mouth.

"(Y/n)," Jamie began, "I know you think I'm too young to understand all this stuff. but I know what happened. I heard" Jamie then let out a sigh, "I know everything is not okay".

Clenching my jaw, I let out an annoyed sigh. There was no point hiding the truth from her, she deserved to know what was going on here.

"Alright fine" I glanced to the side watching a small group of people who were unloading barrels onto the ground.