Chapter 2- An Unlikely Rescue

I sit staring into space, my mind racing with thoughts. Why the shuck are we going to the Last City, I can't think of any reason other than to test us for the cure.

We've been through enough torture and pain for the last three months and now we were going to endure more torture, more pain and more suffering. Would they hook me up to a machine and observe gleefully as I struggle and scream?

I've not seen Minho, Sonya or Aris in ages, perhaps they were dead. Faces white, eyes staring directly up, their bodies not moving. 

No, I couldn't afford to think like that, they had to be alive, they had to be. I prayed that Jamie was okay, there was no doubt that she would be scared out her mind.

A sudden lurch causes my body to leer to the right, the chains digging into my wrist. A searing pain courses through my wrist. I've only heard stories of the Last City, whispering through the dormitory walls. 

I imagine Jamie, sitting there in one of the carriages with her wrists shackled to the ceiling, wondering which of the dozen of carriages I was in. I just prayed that she would be alright and that she would remember not to annoy the guards because we learnt the hard way that they do not like to be challenged. 

I think of my friends, I think of the Right Arm camp, there is no doubting that they would be gone by now. Six months is a long time to wait for your friends to be rescued. My heart sinks to my stomach, did Newt really forget about me?

No, I can't afford to think like that, but a little voice in the depths of my brain tells me that Newt has forgotten about me, that he has moved on and is happy in the safe haven whilst I'm here being bled white for the cure alongside hundreds of others.

Maybe it was for the greater good, Newt deserved to be happy and not have to worry about anything else. The memory of his beaten and bloodied face staring back at me as the doors of the berg closed was still fresh in my mind.

I look around the carriage, the silence reverberates around everyone, dragging us down into the endless darkness. We all knew fine well what would be happening when we arrived at the Last City, we would be poked and prodded and tested in any way imaginable.

I didn't have a clue what WCKD had up their sleeves, I had no clue what they would do to us when we eventually arrive at the Last City, would they divide us into groups?. Separate the people that show fewer signs of the cure with the people that show more signs of it.

Did I even show more signs of the cure?  well, if I did I suppose that I wouldn't hear the end of it. I would bleed for the cure every day of my life. 

A grumbling to my right causes me to snap my head to the side, sounds like there was something going on outside, it sounded like there was a vehicle riding alongside the train.

Perhaps it was a WCKD vehicle, perhaps some guards were authorised to ride alongside the train just in case they believed one of us would try something.

I try to listen harder, wondering why the low grumbling of the vehicle had faded away, it sounded as though the vehicle had moved ahead to the top of the train, I believe that I was in the carriage quite far down from the top of the train.

It seems as though I wasn't the only one that had heard the rumbling of the vehicle because several others are looking around, their brows furrowed deeply. Minho exchanges a calculating glance with me from where he was sat. 

I didn't even notice that Minho had been in the same carriage as me, the stress of where we were heading to seemed to have caused me to not notice my friends.

I simply shrugged, indicating to Minho that I had no idea what was going on. In response, the former Runner nods and fixes his gaze to the front of the carriage.