Chapter 9- The Raining of Bullets

I bit my lip nervously as the group parked just outside the roads and buildings that surrounded the city, my head, felt slightly better however it still didn't take away from the slight headache I had.

I had asked the boys at least three times where we were going, apparently memory loss was a symptom of concussion according to Jorge.

The city was practically overrun with the cranks from what Jorge had told us, the unhealthy outnumbering the healthy by miles and we were supposed to try and blend in.

That might be tricky.

As we further descended into the city, the street that we were walking down began to get much busier and busier with many people shoving past us, some even shooting a glare at us as they walked past.

Something about this place unsettled me greatly, It felt like something was going to go horribly wrong, which in this case could.

"I've got a really shucking bad feeling about this" I whispered under my breath, yet none of the others heard me, only Newt did.

The blonde looked deep into my eyes, his lips pursed gently together, we held each other's gaze for a mere second before finally, Newt gave a reassuring nod.

"Come on guys, we need to stick together!" Brenda shouted over the chanting of the people beside us, I couldn't imagine what would happen if we got separated, would we even see each other again?

"We are here to raise our voices!" A gruff voice suddenly shouted, I jumped in surprise looking to the side just as a flurry of cars came rolling past. The crowd parting to let the vehicles pass, the person who had just shouted was holding a megaphone, amplifying their voice.

"WCKD CLAIMS TO BE HELPING US" The man with the megaphone continued to shout, "BUT ALL THEY DO IS SIT BEHIND THOSE WALLS AND LET US FEND FOR OURSELVES".

The man's speech is met by rapturous cheering as the first car in the line drove past us. A masked figure sat on the back end of the car stared down at us. I hold the figure's gaze for a couple of seconds, a frown pulling at my brows.

Something definitely did not feel right.

"WE ARE STRONGER THAN THEM, WE OUTNUMBER THEM... I SAY IT'S TIME TO TAKE BACK WHAT WE DESERVE!" The man with the megaphone exclaimed in the distance, his voice still loud as ever even though the cars had long disappeared down the street.

"Let's keep going" Thomas watched as the vehicles disappear down the street, a frown much like mine present on his face, but the brunette snapped himself out of his daze and continued down the street.

The sea of infected people grew more and more intense as the group tried to push past them. As we walked I was able to get a good glimpse of the effect the flare had on these people, they looked tired with tattered and ripped clothing hanging off their bodies.

I didn't want to end up like that.

We continued to make our way down the road, travelling through crumbling and graffitied walls until finally, we reached a wall that had numerous short tunnels lining around the bottom. The ocean of people coming out of them.

"I think this must be the way!" Thomas exclaimed, gesturing for us to follow through the tunnel, I hoped whatever Thomas had planned,  it would work, otherwise, we are basically shucked.

I stumbled out into the harsh light, nearly colliding with a crowd member however I managed to stop myself, pushing my hair out of my eyes I take a moment to scan the area.

Hordes of people were huddled together in groups at the blocked area of the road, a large dirt path lay before us, leading to the walls of the Last City, the walls were gigantic, towering over everyone.

"Let's go!" Thomas shouted, without any other word he turned and rushed into the crowd.

"Slow down, Hermano!" Jorge exclaimed, running after the boy as Brenda placed her hood up onto her head, trying to blend it more.

Newt grabbed my hand, "Come on" He explained gently pulling me along, I kept my hand clasped firmly around his as we walked after Thomas and the others.

We tried to push past the crowd as they shouted and waved signs.

"LET US IN, LET US IN!" The crowd bellowed.

Suddenly, I felt Newt's hand tense up slightly, frowning I looked at the boy seeing that he was staring to the side, it looked as though he was trying to search for something or someone.

Newt then turned his attention to the front, his jaw clenched hard.

"What's wrong?" I asked him, concern laced within my voice, by the looks of it something was wrong.

Newt doesn't say anything for a few moments, he instead just kept walking before finally without looking back to me, he whispered.

"People are following us".

"What?" I whispered, making sure to keep my voice low so that I wouldn't bring any attention to myself.

Newt titled his head to the side, indicated that I should look. I turned my head in that direction, my body tense as I spotted the masked figures from the vehicles before, following us.

"Shuck..." I cursed under my breath, forcing myself to look away, "Newt, we need to get to Thomas and the others to warn them".

The blonde boy didn't need to be told twice, he increased his walking pace, limping swiftly through the crowd and forcefully pushing past anyone that was in our way. Not letting go of my hand the entire time.

"Guys!" Newt called, placing a hand on Thomas's shoulder, "We need to go, like right now.. we've got company!" He exclaimed as the group turned around to see what was going on.

Both Jorge and Nova's face fell in concern as they eyed the masked figures, rapidly approaching us, we really needed to go.

Jorge reached into his jacket and I could just make out the older man pulling out a gun.

Thomas opened his mouth to respond however an alarm suddenly blared from the walls causing the crowd to fall into confused silence,  I frowned turning to look at Thomas, what the hell was happening.

"Something is definitely wrong" Fry explained, looking on at the walls in confusion.

Contraptions or machines of some sort suddenly rose from the walls, a red light blaring from them as the machines titled down to face the crowd.

Fear flooded through my body as I put two and two together. Missiles.

I turned to run just as the first missiles are shot towards us. 

And then the world exploded.

~~~~~~

WCKD sucks sm :{

Anyway, I managed to update!

Happy birthday to Thomas Sangster! crazy to believe he's 31 now.

I've stanned him since 2018, wow that feels so long ago now lmao

Enjoy this chapter!