Chapter 23- A Triumphant Return

For a few seconds I am frozen in place, staring wide eyed at the fiery chaos below, my mind racing with thoughts. I had failed Mae, I had failed to catch her.

She was dead because of me.

However my thoughts are interrupted by Nova and Brenda who both yanked me back into berg.

"Close the hatch, Jorge!" Vince shouted.

"Got it!" Jorge responded.

I weakly pushed myself onto my hands and knees, watching as the berg doors slowly closed. Though my mind was elsewhere, searing images of Mae's decaying body burned into my mind, images of her struggling to hold onto the last bit of life that she has left.

All because of me.

All because I failed to grab her hand.

"Mae..." I whispered in shock, staring at the berg doors. It was as if I expected her to still be out there, to have survived...but quickly reality set it.

She was gone.

"(Y/n)..." A worried voice exclaimed as someone crouched down in front of me, grasping onto my shoulders.

At first I am little dazed to figure out who it is, though eventually I lifted my tired eyes, staring at Heather.

"Come on" The strawberry blonde haired girl whispered soothingly as she coaxed me upwards leading me to a seat.

"It's my fault..." I muttered, sitting down in front of Heather, "Heather we need to go back we need to save Mae!" I exclaimed, my voice rising in panic.

"She's gone, (Y/n)" Heather responded, "We can't save her...it's not your fault."

I stared back at her, wide eyed, "She's dead because of me, Heather" I mumbled, "I should have done something else, I should have gone after her... I should of-"

"If you went after her you would have been killed yourself" Minho suddenly explained crouching down next to Heather.

"Minho, she's dead because of me...I can't live with that-" I shook my head, "I can't Minho, I can't-"

Wordlessly Minho reached forward, pulling me into a hug and resting his hand on the back of my head.

"It's okay, (Y/n)" Minho whispered trying to console me however the idea that Mae was dead because of me sent a wave of panic coursing through my body.

"She's dead because of me!" I continued, my voice now reaching a shrill scream, "It's my fault...it's my fault...it's my fault-"

At some point, I don't know when, Heather is handed something by someone. I had no idea what it was however I suddenly a sharp pain in the back of my neck and almost instantly the world slipped away.

***

The first thing that I noticed when I came to was the pounding headache, I opened my eyes letting out a weak groan. Rubbing my eyes I went to sit up however a hand gently pushed me back onto the bed.

"Hey, take it easy" Minho reassured, giving my shoulder a pat.

"Minho?" I asked, furrowing my brows together, "What happened?"

Minho bit his lip gently, his eyes fixated on the floor. There is a brief moment of silence between us before he finally spoke up.

"You went a little...hysterical because of Mae's death" Minho mumbled, seeming unable to look me in the eye, "Heather had to sedate you."

Almost instantly I began to remember everything that happened, clinging onto the side of the berg with my hand outstretched, begging for Mae to jump back into the berg, watching as she fell into the abyss below.