Chapter 6- A Long Journey to Hell

After a few minutes of gathering supplies that Thomas thought may have been useful, the group climbed into the rover.

I felt apprehensive, I felt extremely worried. What happened if we didn't make it back? I couldn't leave Jamie alone, she had no parents, no family and if I didn't make it back, then who would care for her?

Once I had hoisted myself into the rover, I sat down scooting slightly over in order to make room for Newt, who was just sliding in beside me.

The blonde-haired boy glanced over at me, I must have appeared worried as Newt studied me for a brief second. I feel myself get lost in those brown eyes. The six months in which I had been in WCKD's grasp made me realise how much I had missed the boy I loved.

Newt's hands slipped into mine causing me to jump slightly but instantly relax when I realised who it was. Despite Minho being missing, Newt still managed to be as comforting as ever.

"Newt." I began, unsure how to continue, "What if we can't get him back?" I asked.

He sighed between parted lips, I could see the cogs turning in his head as Newt tried to answer my question

But instead, he leaned over and placed a kiss gently on my forehead before sitting back down on the seat, staring at me with a warm smile.

"Don't focus on the negative (Y/n)." Newt explained, "Focus on the positive, we will get Minho back" He added firmly, his jaw clenched.

I could only nod in response as Thomas and Frypan climbed into the front, with Thomas sitting at the passengers' seat and Fry sitting at the drivers.

"We all ready?" Fry questioned, glancing over his shoulder at us, an excited smile plastered on his face. It seemed as though he was excited about this adventure.

"We might be on the road for quite some time" Fry explained as he started the rover up, the machine hummed quietly as we depart from the camp.

I turned around in my seat, watching as the camp slowly fades away in the darkness.

There was no going back now.

"We should all try and get some rest" Thomas added, resting his arm against the seat as he looked at us with a small grin.

"Good that." I nodded, shifting slightly as I tried to make myself comfortable but the rover wasn't the most comfortable thing in the world, so it proved a challenge.

"Having some trouble?" Newt asked, watching me with a bemused expression on his face.

I turned back around, folding my arms across my chest and smiling gently, giving Newt a small nod.

"You can sleep against me if you want?" He suggested, gesturing to his shoulder.

The smile on my face grew even bigger and before I knew what I was doing, I was pressing my temple against his shoulder, his warmth dispersing into my veins and making me feel a sense of comfort.

I didn't even get the chance to thank Newt before my eyes close and the fatigue takes over.

-

"Newt, please don't go" I begged the blonde boy, lifting my hand to place on his cheek. I didn't want him to go into the maze, where he would forget about me and everything that we went through.

It's clear that the blonde boy doesn't want to go, I could see it in his hazelnut eyes. Not wanting to leave this place behind, not wanting to leave his friends behind.

Not wanting to leave me behind.

"Listen, " I began, dropping my hand from Newt's cheek with a sigh, "I can talk to Dr Paige, maybe we could... talk to her... get her to hold of the procedure-"

I'm silenced by Newt, who took both my hands in his, his warmth flooding into my own causing a sense of comfort to pass through me. Yet this would be the last time where I felt his warmth.

"(Y/n).." Newt sighed, pushing his tongue in front of his teeth, "I know you don't want me to go... I don't either" The boy explained, "But they've been preparing this for a while and there's no other choice."

It's true, the maze trials have been anticipated by WCKD for more than three years now, and to stop it now, they wouldn't be happy.

Dr Paige had been training me, Teresa, Mae and Thomas since we were little, preparing us for this moment, giving us hope that we would be the ones to discover the cure for the flare, to save humanity.

And yet no cure had been found.

This was their last hope, the last-ditch effort to help save the world, use subjects and analyse them. To try to stop the experiment would not be taken lightly.

I couldn't muster any words, I couldn't gather the urge to say something back to him. In less than 12 hours he would not even remember my name.

"Newt, you're going to forget me" I protested, giving his hand a gentle squeeze, "I don't want you to suffer in there."

There's a few moments of silence that reverberates around us before finally, Newt's lips smashed into mine. 

I don't hesitate, I don't pull back, I just kiss back cupping his cheeks. I didn't want to let go, if I let go then it meant I would lose him and I yearned for Newt.

"I won't forget you" Newt whispered against my lips, the vibration sending tingles across them, "I could never forget the girl I love."

-

I jolted awake, glancing around in a slight panic. It was very bright, the sun shone down on the rover as it travelled down the dirt road.

"Hey" Thomas called from the front seat, he glanced at me with a concerned expression through the mirror.

"You alright?" The brunette questioned as I cleared my throat, sitting up properly and looking to the side seeing that Newt was still peacefully asleep.

"Yeah I'm okay" I responded, rubbing the sleep through my eyes, "How long were me and Newt out?".

"About 3 hours" Frypan answered from the passenger seat, "We've got a couple more hours to go before we can get Minho back" He added, smirking at me.

I couldn't help but smirk back.

WCKD had no clue what was coming.

*****

Hey!

Finally managed to update it, this chapter was quite short because there wasn't much to write about. But the flashback between (Y/n) and Newt was very fun to write :}

Enjoy this chapter!

Btw I know the gif is not from the death cure, I just couldn't find very many Newt death cure gifs that I had not already used in the book.