Chapter 18- The Ticking Time Bomb

I stood, staring at the entrance silently hoping that Newt would change his mind and come back... though he never did.

"He's going through with plan" I muttered under my breath, letting out an annoyed sigh, "That shank is going through with the plan" I repeated, a little more loudly which attracted Heather's attention. 

I turned to her, folding my arms across my chest, "What if he turns before I can get to him?" I asked, running a hand through my messy hair.

"(Y/n)" Heather responded with a gentle sigh, "Newt is strong, he will be able to hold his own out there."

I pressed my lips together firmly, staring back at the girl, "He's so stubborn though" I argued glancing back over my shoulder at the entrance of the room, "If you were infected with the virus surely you wouldn't go waltzing into danger!" 

Heather reached up, running a hand through the little bits of hair that had fallen out of her braid, I could tell that she was conflicted on my statement, there is a brief moment of silence before Heather opened her mouth to respond.

"You trust him, don't you?" She asked, raising a brow at me.

I frowned slightly feeling slightly puzzled by her question, of course I trusted Newt, I've trusted that boy throughout the maze and the scorch, I trusted Newt with my life.

"Of course" I replied, shifting my weight onto my right leg.

A small smile tugged at the upper corners of Heather's lips as she walked forward, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"Then trust that boy, trust that he will be okay." 

Heather's words made me consider the situation again, Newt was strong and I knew that he would be able to get Minho back with Thomas, but that little voice in the back of my mind kept constantly reminding me that there was a possibility of Newt being dead by the time I reached him.

I could not let that happen.

I could not let the boy I loved die.

I wouldn't allow it.

A sharp clang echoed from where Gally was working which caused me to be brought back to my senses, looking over in his direction I felt a smile form on my face as the lock to the metal cupboard storing the bliss gave way, falling to the floor with a thud.

"Shuck yes, Gally!" I exclaimed with excitement rushing forward and crouching down, helping the boy to pry the doors open.

It took a lot of effort though eventually we managed to rip the doors off. Placing the metal object behind me, I turned back to the cupboard, my eyes widening in disbelief as I take in the contents inside. Each row of the cupboard was filled with thin test tubes or vials of some sort, each containing equal measurements of bliss.

I could feel the anger surging within me as I looked at the test tubes, how many innocent immunes were tortured for all of this, bleed for the cure. Though a sinister thought popped into my head.

How many of these vials contained Minho's blood?

"Those sick bastards" I muttered, clenching my jaw tightly.

"You can say that again" Heather mumbled, looking at the test tubes with a solemn expression.

"Grab as many as you can" Gally ordered, stuffing the small metal machine and saw back into his pocket.

I nodded, reaching forward and attempting to gather as much vials of bliss as possible. Though it does prove to be tricky and it was clear that I was struggling with it. 

"Hey!" A timid voice exclaimed to my right.

I glanced over, watching as a small boy who looked as though he was eleven or twelve timidly make his way over to me.