Chapter 14- The Harsh Truth

Clenching my jaw tightly, I began to stride out of the room. Intent on finding Newt and talking to him and find out what the hell was going on.

Though before I can exit the room, I felt someone grab my wrist. I looked over my shoulder, glaring into the eyes of Gally.

"Let me go." I demanded, to which the buzzcut haired boy shook his head.

"Gally, I said let go!" I persisted, attempting to pull my hand away from his, though my attempt was futile.

"Let Newt and Thomas talk it out" Gally explained softly, "If you go out there, it may cause something bad to happen."

"They might continue the fight outside Gally!" I retorted, narrowing my eyes at him, "What happens if one of them gets hurt?"

"Do you trust both of them?" Gally asked, raising his brows at me.

Of course, I trusted Thomas and Newt... granted, Thomas had made some stupid decisions over the past few months,  but it always paid off. I grimaced slightly, staring directly in Gally's eyes before I realized that Gally was right. I trusted those two boys with my life.

As much as I didn't want to agree with Gally, I knew that what he was saying was in fact right. Slowly I nod, wrenching my hand out of Gally's grip.

"Fine" I caved, "But if one of them doesn't make it back here... I'm blaming you" I added, turning sharply on my heels before walking out of the room.

My head was racing at a million miles an hour, filled with many puzzled thoughts. Newt had been acting rather weird for the past few days, as much as I tried to ignore it and tell myself that he was okay. The thought of something bad was happening kept persisting, making it very hard to ignore.

Though for now, I decided to leave it just now, when Newt decided to come back whenever he was ready... I would talk to him, he couldn't hide this from me anymore.

There was no use.

****

At least an hour ow two had passed since Newt and Thomas had gone, I was sat in the storage room, perching on a wooden crate. My right leg bouncing up and down slightly with nerves. I was unsure how this may go, how my conversation with Newt would go. Would he willingly speka to me about what was happening or would he attack me like Thomas?

"I'm just going to get some supplies from the storage room" I heard Newt shout from upstairs. 

My eyes lifted to the sound of his voice, taking a shaky breath, I forced myself to stand up. Waiting with folded arms for the blonde boy. I heard the steady sound of the boy limping down the stairs until finally his silhouette appeared in the doorway.

Newt jumped in surprise once he saw me, his eyes filled with surprise, "(Y/n), what the shuck are you doing down here?" He asked.

"Newt, we need to talk" I explained, walking over to the door before pushing it shut with my knee. Turning to face Newt, I gestured to the wooden crate opposite me. 

The blonde boy stared at me for a few seconds before finally giving in and sitting himself down. As he sat down, I could briefly notice that he winced in pain, clutching his right arm as he sat down.

"(Y/n)... look, I know I have a lot of explaining to do." Newt admitted, pursing his lips together slightly. 

I folded my arms across my chest, striding over to my wooden crate and sitting down. Gently, I reached out and took Newt's hands between mine... they were surprisingly cold. I sighed, my eyes glued to his hands, rubbing my thumb over his skin. 

"You've been acting so strange over the past few days." I began, I could feel tears welling in my eyes, though I swallowed hard in order to keep them down, "You can't hide whatever is going on anymore" I added, glancing up at Newt, "Please, just talk to us.... talk to me."

Newt let out a small sigh, his hazelnut brown eyes looked into mines. A moment of silence hung between us before the blonde boy finally spoke.

"I'm fine...(Y/n)" Newt murmured, giving my hands a gentle squeeze, "I'll survive..."

"Newt, you're not fine" I persisted, "I saw what happened to you with Thomas... you weren't yourself."

Newt clenched his jaw slightly, hanging his head between his arms, "I said I'm fine..." Newt repeated, though this time, I could sense anger slowly building in his voice.

"What is wrong with you, Newt... whatever is happening to you... we can fix it, I promise!" I pleaded.

That seemed to set Newt off, the blonde boy suddenly stood upwards. Knocking the wooden crate over in the process. I jumped slightly, my mouth agape.

"THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN FIX" Newt bellowed, his anger unlike anything that I had seen before. "YOU CAN'T FIX ME (Y/N)."

Cautiously, I stood up and slowly started to back away from Newt. Though I was heavily confused, what did he mean that he couldn't be fixed.

"Newt, please just tell me what's going on" I begged, the blonde still seemed enraged. He was breathing heavily, his eyes squeezed shut and I could even see him muttering under his breath.

"Please, just leave me alone" Newt growled, without another word the blonde boy got to his feet and began to retreat towards the door.

"You can't just run away from what is going on!" I shouted, tears threatening to spill over, I hated seeing Newt like this.... in pain. I don't understand why he couldn't tell me what was going on.

I raced over to Newt, placing my hand gently on his shoulder in an effort to comfort him.

"And you think, that you of all people can help save me?" Newt demanded, suddenly turning and advancing towards me, rage fueling him, "You all of people can fix what's going on?"

"Newt..." I whispered, backing away. For the first time, I was scared... I was afraid of the boy. This was not Newt...Newt would never do this.

"You can't save me, (Y/n)" Newt seethed, continuing to back me into a wall.

"Why not.. Newt, just please-"

"I HAVE THE FLARE" Newt screamed, "I'M INFECTED"

That's when the shock hit me like a brick, full force... I couldn't believe it. Newt was infected. He had the flare.

Newt glared at me for a few moments before suddenly, the boy broke into a sob. Hanging his head almost in shame, as if the boy was ashamed that he was infected. Newt continued to sob, tears pouring down his face.

"I'm sorry...I'm sorry" Newt whispered, sinking to his knees.

"I'm so sorry (Y/N)" Newt sobbed, trying to desperately wipe the tears away from his face.

I watched the boy sob on the floor in front of me, I watched as the boy who I had survived everything with, break down in front of me. Newt seemed like a shell of his former self and now my worst fear had come true. He had the flare.

I slowly crouched down in front of Newt, resting my knees on the hard wooden floor, silence hung between us. The only sound was Newt sobbing in front of me. I gently reached out taking Newt's chin and tilting it so that he would look at me. For a few moments, time stopped as we gazed into each others eyes. Newt sniffled, his face red.

A tear slides down my face as I pulled Newt towards me, fixing him into a hug and wrapping my arms around the boy. Resting his head against my chest. Newt accepted my embrace and continued to cry.

Nothing else mattered in the world, the only thing that mattered was Newt. Both of us just sit there, wrapped in each others embrace.

After everything that we had been through, surviving the maze, the scorch.... being reunited after six long months, my nightmares were coming true, though one question lingered in my mind.

How long do I have with the blonde boy until he turns?

****

(A/N)

Poor babies :{

This chapter is kind of short, but I wanted to have the chapter focused on Newt revealing he had the flare!

Hope y'all are ready for Mae to come back, there is going to be a lot of angst between her and (Y/n)

Happy reading!