Chapter 15- Foes Reunited

I didn't know how to react, all this time, he had been infected?

I think back to when Newt had snapped at Thomas, it all made sense now. The flare had the ability to alter a persons mind and rage, increased mood swings, violence. 

Believe it or not, I paid attention to the constant propaganda that WCKD shoved in our faces.

 I continued to hold Newt closely to my chest, as if he would dissolve into thin air if I did not. The blonde boy sobbed softly, tears threatened to spill from my eyes though I clenched my jaw as hard as I could, I couldn't cry.

I had to be strong.

I gently cupped Newt's face, shifting my body into another position, with each hand on his face I slowly made him look up at me. Though, Newt didn't want to meet my eyes, those hazelnut irises kept glancing away as if he was ashamed.

"Newt," I began, "Look at me."

Newt let out a soft whimper, giving his head a gentle shake. I could understand why he felt this way, he felt embarrassed, ashamed that he had lashed out. Though I kept repeating the same words in my head again and again. 

You have to be strong 

"Look at me, Newt." I firmly ordered.

This time, Newt lifted his eyes to meet mine, his pale face streaked with tears. I slowly reached out and took a hold on his sleeve, pulling it up, Newt didn't protest and instead allowed me to pull up his jacket sleeve.

I wasn't prepared for what I saw.

The veins in his arms had turned a dark shade of black, the black veins sprouted outwards in various different directions, almost taking the form of tendrils.

With a small sigh, I pulled Newt's sleeve back down before looking at the boy, "Listen to me," I whispered sharply, cupping his cheeks.

"We are going to get through this," I explained, taking the chance to run my thumbs over his cheekbones, Newt gave a single nod, sniffling occasionally.

"We are going to get through this... I don't care if we have to capture Teresa and Mae and shucking torture them until they help us." I continued, rage was building up inside of me, I was not going to let Teresa and Mae get away, we are going to capture them, "You will be okay Newt, you will be cured... we will be okay."

I leaned forwards, connecting my lips to his, I could feel every emotion raging inside of me as we kissed....love, anger, hatred, betrayal. I didn't know how much time we had left together, but one way or another, I was not going to let the boy turn.

After a few seconds, I pulled back from Newt, resting my forehead on his. We sit in silence for a few minutes before I whispered, "I love you... I love you so much...I will not let you turn, do you hear me?"

Newt's lips parted in shock, "(Y/N), I-" He began.

I quickly silenced him by placing a gentle finger on his lips, "I promise you, I will not break that Newt".

The blonde boy stared at me for a few seconds before finally he seemed to cave in, giving me a gentle nod.

With that I stood up, pulling Newt up with me, giving his hand a gentle squeeze I began to lead him towards the door, "Come on, let's go get this plan started."

 ***

Heather yanked a black hoodie over her head, pulling out her strawberry blonde braid out from underneath, "So, does everyone know the plan?" She asked, glancing around the table at everyone.

The group gave a nod, I stood at the far right corner, going through the plan in my head. Me, Fry and Nova were going to catch Mae in her apartment where we then capture her and bring her back here.