Chapter 17- A Dangerous Mission

My reflection stared back at me in the mirror, the guard outfit that Heather had given me is a little too big, but it would have to do. I brushed my hair over my shoulder, swinging my arms about in order to get used to the outfit.

I would be wearing it for a while.

A sigh escaped my lips as I take myself in, my mind racing with a million thoughts... this was it, after all this time, we were finally going to get Minho back.

"Hang in there, Minho" I whispered, "We're coming to get you."

"You look cozy." Newt's voice appeared from behind me.

I looked over my shoulder, smiling slightly as I see Newt in his red and black WCKD uniform, he's smiling though it is clear he is nervous.

"Yeah, well Heather wanted us to fit the part" I chuckled slightly closing the distance between me and Newt.

Newt smiled in response letting out a small nod, he reached out taking my hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. 

The boy's warmth spreads through my veins, comforting me, it seemed as though Newt was the only thing that could comfort me in this perilous situation.

"I love you, (Y/n)" Newt whispered, running his thumb along my hand, he lifted his hazelnut brown eyes to me, "I love you... so much."

At first I am slightly puzzled as to why the boy was telling me this, but then I realized why he was saying this, he was worried about the flare, he was worried that the disease would take him and turn him into a monster.

My mind cast back to the ticking time bomb that hung above our heads, I had no idea how much time I had left with Newt.

I raised my hand and placed it gently over his before stepping forward and kissing him on the lips. Newt immediately reciprocated the kiss, kissing me back. Eventually I pulled back, my lips feeling slightly tingly.

"Listen to me" I began slowly, "I know you love me, you do not need to say it..." I reached up rubbing my thumb along his hand, "I love you too... I always will."

Newt stared at me for a few moments before nodding slowly, he gently took me by the hand and led me towards the others, as we entered the room, I allowed myself a moment to take everyone in.

Nova was sat in between Teresa and Mae, a light purple coat hugging her slender frame, Teresa and Mae sat quietly, though Mae seemed to be watching me with interest, I frowned slightly, glaring at the girl before turning away.

At the other corner of the room, Jorge sat with Thomas and Brenda, the trio seemed to be consulting maps that had been scattered about the table with intense focus. Frypan sat on his own, a worried expression plastered across his face 

"Alright, everyone is here?" Gally asked as he entered the room, wearing his own WCKD guard uniform.

"I'll be taking Mae and Teresa to the front entrance of the facility with Heather" Gally began, shifting his gaze to me and Newt, "(Y/n), Newt you both know that you're going round the back side of the building?" 

We both gave him a nod.

"Good that" Gally responded before turning to Thomas, "You need to come in from below, first floor" He explained to the boy.

"Brenda, Nova, Frypan, do you know where you're going?"

The trio all gave the boy a grunt of conformation.

"Great" Heather piped in, brushing her braid over her shoulder before she fixes her mask over her face, "Let's get Minho back."

I nodded, an excited smile rising on my face, with that I yanked my own mask over my face, the mesh was a little hard to see through but it was doable. After that I picked up my launcher, swinging the strap over my shoulder as I glanced over at Newt.