Fate really does like certain events

Previously

"Your friends seem nice, like they really care," Draco said, looking at Harry's bracelet with a slight frown, making Harry think about Draco's own friends. He had his two goons, Crabbe and Goyle, but Harry wasn't sure if they were friends. In his later years he had hung around Zabini, Nott, and Parkinson a lot, but Harry couldn't be sure who his actual friends were.

Realising this, Harry felt bad for the boy and nodded. "Yes, they're actually pretty great. I never had real friends before I met them," he admitted.

"They won't mind me coming along tomorrow?" Draco asked.

"No. As long as you don't call them names or spout off rubbish about them like Ronald does, then I can't see them having any problems. I told them yesterday when I saw them that you would be joining us," Harry said.

Draco snorted. "Like I could ever act like the weasel," he said arrogantly.

Harry smiled. It seemed that without Harry there to be his rival, Draco had promoted Ron into that place. Soon enough an elf appeared - Harry was actually pleased to see it wasn't Dobby - and announced dinner was ready.

~

Dinner was as expected: fancy but delightful. The food all looked and tasted fantastic. Over dinner, the table was set out with Sirius and Lucius at either end and Harry and Remus together sitting opposite Narcissa and Draco.

The conversation over dinner was light, but Harry could sense Lucius wanted to ask some questions each time certain topics came up, such as Sirius' trial and Dumbledore. Seeing how the blond was almost losing his composure with his need, Harry took pity on him.

"Dumbledore even had the gall to write to me today," he said. Dessert was just being served, a lovely lemon meringue with vanilla ice-cream and dark chocolate sprinkles.

Lucius sent the boy a look. "Oh?" he queried.

"Yes. I didn't think that with the custody battle approaching he would contact me, as it wouldn't be proper. Yet, this morning he wrote and told me to consider visiting the muggles who raised me. I suppose he wants me to forgive their abuse," Harry said.

Narcissa let out a slight gasp. Magical children were cherished and she had personally been devastated when she learnt she would be unable to conceive again after she had given birth to Draco. To her harming a child was the worst act.

"I see. So the papers haven't been lying?" Lucius said, making Harry smirk slightly.

Ms. Skeeter had really been going to town on the job; there had been daily articles about Harry, varying from his past home life to his time at Hogwarts and speculations about Dumbledore's ability to teach. She had painted a truly amazing story and Harry was proud of the woman. Sure, it took blackmail and threats to create the relationship, but Harry could see it going far if she maintained this quality of work.

"Surprisingly for Ms. Skeeter, the articles are true," Harry confirmed.

Draco startled. "Wait, so you really did live with abusive muggles?" he asked, shocked. Clearly the Malfoys had raised him to think muggles where beneath magical, not a notion Harry believed but one he would work on fixing.

Harry sighed. "Yes - my mother's sister, dreadful woman. Dumbledore left me there without checking up on me after my parents died. She hated magic along with her husband and son," Harry said, making sure to gain Lucius' eye when he mentioned Dumbledore. "I don't understand why I wasn't given to distant family or even an orphanage, surley that would have been better. Not all muggles are awful, however my aunt- truly dreadful."