yuletide

Previously

Eventually Harry, Sirius and Remus were all spat out of the pensive. Harry could feel the tears running down his face, but he didn't care enough to brush them aside.

"Thank you," he whispered, emotion clogging his voice.

Sirius and Remus were in similar states, the memories dragging up emotions long buried.

"It's okay, pup," Sirius whispered, pulling both Remus and Harry into a three-way hug. They had hardly spoken during the memories, instead letting Harry get the full experience.

Harry smiled, grateful for what they had done. Eventually the hug ended, all of them left feeling better for it.

~

December 24th 1992, Grimmauld Place London

Harry was awed as he felt his magic join with Sirius and Remus'. Their cores all seemed to expand and rejuvenate as the flames sparkled. It felt like his magic was alive as it danced around the room. Eventually the out of body experience ended and Harry felt his magic return to him and settle, leaving him buzzed and his sense heightened.

"Wow," he whispered quietly.

Hearing a slight chuckle, Harry looked up and saw Sirius sitting on a chair with a blissed out look on his face.

"I forgot how powerful a proper Yule ritual could be," the animagus said.

"Is this your first one since you left home?" Harry asked.

"No, I celebrated with your father and grandparents while at school and then with your parents during the war, but this is my first Yule since Azkaban."

Harry nodded. He was sure that the ritual had helped Sirius even more than it had helped him. Looking at him Harry noticed the dark shadows in his eyes seemed to have diminished further and even his magical aura seemed more stable and content.

"I didn't know the Potters were traditionalists," Harry said, his voice questioning.

"Well they were purebloods and your grandmother was a Black by birth," Sirius explained.

Harry made a noise of understanding. He murmured, "I see." He remembered seeing that on the family tapestry but hadn't made the connection. It made sense to him though.

"They were really traditional in most of their views, but they didn't mind muggleborns or halfbloods."

Harry nodded. "That's good. It's nice to think they would have accepted me."

Sirius spared Harry a bittersweet smile. "They would have loved you. They tried for so long to have children and simply adored James and even me when I ran away and ended up living with them. They were wonderful and very doting parents - you would have been the most spoiled grandson in the whole of the wizarding world if they had gotten the chance to meet you."

~

Malfoy Yule ball, 24th December 1992

"Come on Harrison, we're going to be late if you don't get a move on," Remus called up the stairs.

Sirius leaned up the side of the wall next to him with a slight pout on his face. He too had been forced by Remus to get ready and look presentable but, unlike Harry, he was given little leeway in what he was allowed to wear. The werewolf had given him implicit instructions which he had to abide by as he was the current Lord Black, meaning he was left wearing black and silver robes as a nod to the Black family colours, with the Black family crest and house motto on the left side of the robe.