Building bridges

Previously

Previously

"He's a traitor!" Ginny said, sending Neville a glare. She still hadn't forgiven him for making Harry laugh at her weeks ago.

Harry rolled his eyes at the irony. "They're my friends. Now, I think it's best if you left, Ms. Weasley."

Ginny gaped. "But—"

"Goodbye, Ginny," Luna said, sending the redhead a sweet smile and wave.

Ginny let out a small snarl and turned with a huff. If she didn't get Harry to start liking her back soon, then she was done for. Dumbledore was already angry enough about the Lockhart situation. She didn't understand how he could resist her—she was perfect! She was smart, funny, beautiful - she even liked quidditch!

What was she doing wrong?

~

November in Hogwarts always seemed to drag for Harry. Without Voldemort's yearly Halloween session and the fallout which would always follow, the month had no draw for Harry. In this life, October at least held Samhain and the ritual which solidified his friendships. December had Yule - which, this year, held the greatest importance for Harry as he would be starting the ritual to bring Tom back; it would also be his first proper Yule celebration with family and friends who wanted him only for himself, not his money or his name.

"You know, I think that somebody has your birthday wrong," Neville said, looking at the package Harry had received just moments ago.

Harry looked up and frowned. The parcel was wrapped in cheap, easily available brown paper and, although it was neat, it didn't have the finery he associated with either the Malfoys or Sirius. Even Ragnok tended to use high quality paper.

"I doubt it's a birthday present," Harry said.

"Open it," Susan said, peering up from her Daily Prophet.

Harry looked at the parcel and frowned once again. Opening his senses, he allowed his magic to wash over the package and found it clean. Picking it up, he used his wand to break the wrapping with a small severing charm.

Inside was a box of chocolates. Harry, remembering his last life, knew not to eat them and instead picked up the note.

~

Always yours,

XOX

~

Scowling, Harry picked up the box and placed it in his bag. Ginny had apparently upped her game if she was resorting to potions this quickly. Although he didn't have definitive proof, he recognised the childish handwriting. He had to wonder if Dumbledore had put her up to it; he knew the old man recognised his Heir ring - perhaps the girl and her mother were acting alone? Or at least without the council of the old coot.

"Not going to share, Potter?" came Ron's voice. He had been watching enviously from down the table. Harry frowned before a thought hit him, the smirk on his face making him look truly sinister.

"By all means...," Harry said, taking out the box and offering it to the redhead.

Ron looked surprised for a minute, the shock making him gape. "Oh-wha-? O-okay," he said greedily, his sense of entitlement overruling the little doubt he had.

Harry noticed his friends' confused looks and hoped they wouldn't question him. Seeing Ron eat the chocolate, Harry watched in fascination as his eyes clouded over for a second before clearing.