Traditions

Previously

"So you think we should help them - muggleborns, I mean - instead of looking down on them?" Draco asked, the word help showing his clear reluctance.

"Yes, they just need to be taught. We shouldn't sacrifice our world for them, they just need to be shown how to embrace it."

The three Slytherins shared a look: Blaise clearly the most willing to see Harry's point of view. Draco, however, did look like he was considering Harry's words. Harry's other friends all looked intrigued, especially with how Hannah and Susan were whispering together.

"You've planted the seeds now, my Lord. Soon they will grow and flourish," Luna whispered quietly so only Harry heard.

Harry smiled. Perhaps making Draco see the error in his ways wouldn't be as hard as he had feared.

~

October 1992, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

September quickly turned into October and Harry was soon watching the trees start to change. He found himself happy he had stood up to Lockhart in his first lesson. After serving his detention with Flitwick, which was really just him sitting in the Charms professor's office doing his homework for an hour after dinner, he quickly inspired the rest of the school to question the man's ability and suitability to teach. Owls and howlers had soon started to arrive.

However, today topped it when he caught sight of the headline of the Prophet. Reading, he could feel the smirk forming: Hogwarts: From World-Class to Classless!

"Did you hear? The entire 7th year class is now refusing to go to his lessons. They say they would rather teach themselves," Blaise said as he came to sit down, paper in his hands.

They were currently at lunch and had decided to sit at the Slytherin table for the first time. The older years were shooting Harry and some of their group odd looks but they were ignoring him for the most part. It had gotten out how close the patriarch of the Malfoy family was to the Potter-Black heir and, adding Sirius and his reputation to the mix as well as Harry's unexpected attitude and intelligence, even the older year Slytherins were willing to give him a chance.

Harry smirked - he had gone back to Defence only once since his first lesson and, predictably, he had found it to be ridiculous. Lockhart had spent half an hour talking about heroic battles he had fought in, claiming to have done such outrageous and practically impossible feats of magic that Harry had feared his eyes would roll out of his head. It was laughable. The man was a fool; he could hardly disarm a dummy, let alone engage in a one versus five all out duel with vampires.

Even his friends had started to follow his example by going to their Head of House and asking for self-study. In Neville's case, as McGonagall had flat out refused, he had taken to feeling 'unwell' whenever Defence came about.

Harry had heard back from Lucius a few days after he had sent his letter.

~

Harrison,

I thank you for bringing such a shocking problem to my notice. Draco has also written to me and shared his concerns and I am appalled at the quality of staff Dumbledore has hired.

As a member of the Board and, more importantly, a parent, I shall do everything in my power to see to it that you do not have to put up with such standards of teaching for long. It's shameful that Hogwarts, which was once heralded as the best school for witchcraft and wizardry, has let its standards fall so low. Hopefully, I shall have this outrageous situation dealt with and you will not have to suffer for long, however I fear the headmaster will foil any attempts I make to rectify the situation. Therefore my actions may take longer than initially expected.