It's not all sunshine and daisies

Previously

Headmaster tossed out of court

You heard it here first, our esteemed headmaster Albus Dumbledore was seen being escorted out of the first Wizengamot session of the season by armed aurors after attacking new member of the court Lord Marvolo Gaunt. The elderly wizard, who in recent years has been the subject to numerous scandals has once again proven, at least to me, that he is clearly unfit for his current roles and responsibilities.

Dear readers, Mr. Dumbledore was claiming the new lord was none other than the fear and terrible You-Know-Who. Upon hearing these outrageous claims, The new lord Gaunt stoically remained calm and collected and had this to say, 'clearly the man is troubled, his advanced age has obviously caught up with him'. More on page 3.

(End of article)

Harry read the front page with poorly hid glee, it was starting and he couldn't wait. Looking up he saw that everybody in the hall was reading the article, whispering about the still absent Head teacher.

///

Albus paced up and down his office, ignoring the mournful song Fawkes was letting out, as he tried to figure out how he had missed Toms return. The bird had become even more melancholy recently and he was fed up of it, if it wasn't for the fact he needed the hopeless thing to maintain his image he would simply get rid of it. However Albus Dumbledore was famous for having a phoenix as a familiar, therefore the damned bird had to stay.

"How?" he repeated, muttering the word over and over again under his breath, he simply couldn't understand it. Severus hadn't said anything, his actions recently hadn't changed nor his attitude. Albus refused to believe his spy had turned traitor, so that left the question of just how was Tom back and how had he hidden it. Albus was not prepared for Toms return yet, his control over Harry wasn't firm nor were his plans going according to schedule.

Sitting, he drafted letters to his order members, they would have to move quickly if they wanted to stop the Dark Lord.

///

Severus fought to maintain his blank facade as he watched the clearly insane man before him pace around the room. Albus didn't seem to realise that he was muttering to himself, twitchy blue eyes darting around the room as he went. The old man had hardly acknowledged his presence, seemingly lost in his own mind and ramblings. Clearing his throat once again, Severus watched as the old man spun to face him rather nimbly for somebody of his advanced age.

"Aah, Severus, my boy."

Fighting the grimace the words involuntarily caused, Severus nodded his head in greeting, "Headmaster."

"Severus. Dark times are upon us..," Dumbledore started, face grave but eyes shining madly, "I must know, your mark, have you felt anything from it?"

Severus knew this was coming, had know of his Lords plan to rejoin society so he was prepared, "no, I would have told you immediately."

Albus narrowed his eyes, he didn't want to doubt Severus but how could he not.

"Your mark... Let me see it."

With a sneer Severus unbuttoned his shirt sleeve and rolled it up, allowing pale skin to show, a faded dark mark marring the white flesh. His Lord had tweaked his mark in preparation for this very moment.

Albus slumped when he saw the mark was the same as it had been the last time he saw it.

"What about your contacts? You're close with Lucius, he must have told you something!?"