An inner circle

Previously

"I don't know many people who would take the test," Sirius said.

"Muggleborns are muggleborns, therefore they are coming into a new world. Everybody else knows who they are or at least what family they come from. It's actually very rare for people to take inheritance tests. It's usually halfbloods or orphans who suspect they're halfbloods who take the tests and I doubt Dumbledore has much use for such people." Lucius said.

Harry nodded. That made sense, but he was still amazed that Dumbledore had gotten away with this for so long.

"I suspect he picks people from families he knows are involved in politics or who he thinks he can manipulate easily. He picks the outsiders as the ones he can fully twist and shape into the puppets he wants," Harry said, thinking about Dumbledore's reasons.

"I agree," Remus said, thinking about his own situation. He had been blinded by his gratitude towards Dumbledore for years - he hadn't thought to ever question the man or his motives. He was his saviour.

Eventually the small meeting died down as they shared their theories about Dumbledore's plans.

~

Grimmauld place, December 25th, 1992

~

Waking up Harry felt a small smile build on his face, although they celebrated a traditional Yule, the giving of presents was still something that he liked to participate in.

Stretching, Harry allowed himself a moment to enjoy the peace and quiet. However, that soon shattered when he felt Sirius arriving, his sensitivity to magic in particular Sirius with whom he shared a bond was growing. Allowing his magic to be free was showing Harry just how stifled he had been in his last life and just how much he keeps hidden behind his shields when he is at Hogwarts. His magic was growing and developing in leaps and bounds, and Harry along with it.

"Wake up Harry! We have PRESENTS!" Sirius shouted, his excitement clear before turning into Padfoot and jumping into the bed, smothering him.

Laughing at his antics and trying to avoid the dog's sloppy kisses, Harry eventually freed himself by sending a freezing charm at Sirius.

Hearing laughter, Harry looked up in time to catch the blinding flash of a camera.

"I see he decided to wake you in a similar fashion as he did me," Remus said, putting the camera away.

"He's like a giant child," Harry said, smirking when he saw Sirius's eyes narrow.

"A puppy," Remus said in agreement, making Harry laugh more.

"Come on, unfreeze him so we can all eat,"

Without a thought Harry waved a hand, unfreezing the animagus, the wandless magic coming easily to him.

Sirius shook out his fur before turning back into himself, and launching himself at Harry.

"Who needs food when we have presents?"

"I do," Remus deadpanned from the door.

"We can eat later," Sirius said in a decisive tone, before standing and dragging Harry bodily towards the door.

Remus shook his head lightly as he watched them, glad that Sirius was behaving how he had when they were younger. He had always been the most excited about Yule and giving presents when they were younger, and he had been worried that the damage Azkaban had done to his old friend would be too severe. He was glad his worries were proving to be unfounded. Hearing a crash followed by Harry's unmistakable laugh, Remus sighed and quickly caught up to the pair who were in the informal sitting room, surrounded by brightly wrapped presents and a sullen Kreacher.