Second year

Previously

"Yes, I thought that after such a hectic summer you may wish to be re-Sorted when you return to school."

Harry just about held back his snort of derision - that was an exceptionally weak excuse. He wondered if the old man was really becoming that desperate.

"Thank you, Headmaster," Harry said, allowing him for a moment to think he had won. "However, I will have to decline. I love being in Ravenclaw."

Albus felt his elation crash and narrowed his eyes. "I see, you're certain?"

"Yes," Harry said smiling.

"Very well then, I shall be going. Do enjoy the rest of your holiday," Albus said, his voice clipped as he thought about how the boy refused to do as he was told.

Walking him back to the parlour, Harry sent Sirius a look which had the animagus biting his lip to stop himself from laughing. He did so love winding the old fool up.

~

After Dumbledore's visit the rest of the summer flew by - the only thing to break it up being the promised surprise visit from the Department of Children's Protection. It was Joanne Mirwood herself who came, much to the relief of Remus and Harry.

August 25th 1992, Grimmauld Place, London

"You're looking well, Mr. Potter," Joanne said, following them into the kitchen. Her quill was taking notes as she walked, probably on the house and its suitability for a family.

"Thank you, Ms. Mirwood," Harry said, sending her a sweet smile. He had liked Ms. Mirwood when he had met her in Madam Bones office and hoped she would continue to be in his good books.

"So Harry - is it okay if I call you Harry?" she asked.

"Yes, ma'am," Harry said.

"Call me Joanne," she said, smiling. Unlike most adults, her smile wasn't patronising and Harry could see how such a young woman had become the head of such an important department. "Anyway, as I was saying, Harry, would you mind if I asked you a few questions about your life now that you've been living with your blood father?"

"Certainly," Harry agreed easily.

"Well then, let's start with the basics: are you happy here?"

"Yes, Sirius and Remus are great guardians," Harry said.

Joanne smiled at the small boy in front of her; she had been present during the trial and had been disgusted by what had come to light. She was one of the many who had wanted Dumbledore charged with neglect and she had, along with the Muggle Relations Department, already sent their findings off to the muggle authorities. The Dursleys would be in a lot of trouble soon and there would be no way for them to worm their way out of it if she had anything to say about it.

"That's good, Harry. Now could you tell me what has been the best thing you've done together so far?"

Harry tilted his head when he thought about it. "My birthday," he said.

"Oh?"

"When I lived with the Dursleys, I never got to celebrate my birthday. When I was younger I didn't even know I had one. This year though, I got to celebrate it. Sirius and Remus took me to muggle London and we saw Cats - it's a muggle West End show - and it was so good. Then we went to Rome for lunch—did you know the Coliseum has a wizard only part with a restaurant? Then we went to the Sistine Chapel, the Pantheon, the Trevi fountain. It was great!" Harry had sure to act excited, which wasn't hard as he really had had a fantastic time in Rome.