A monster of our own making

Harry Potter and the Shadowed Light

Chapter 47

~

Previously

"Ron, he had a glamour on... with Dumbledore bound, do you think it failed?"

The words made Harry still, he had forgotten about Ron's seemingly healed appearance last night with everything else that had happened. He hadn't heard anything, but then again, most students had been herded out of the room by staff by that point. Ron also had a leech attached to him... Harry shuddered. He might loath the boy, but a small part of him would always remember his first friend. It may have been fake, but for years Harry had thought of the redhead as a brother.

"Hopefully that's all it did," he replied.

///

Meanwhile in the Hogwarts infirmary.

Ron lay in the bed feeling numb, last night he had for a moment thought that his life was getting back on track. Yes, he had bollocksed up the first task, but he could redeem himself, No, he would redeem himself. He would show everybody who laughed at him, everybody who doubted him, that he was just as good, No, better than that slimy traitor Harry Potter... at least that's what he had thought.

Dumledore had finally come through with the necklace, and while wearing it didn't soothe the pain or heal him, it did make him feel better as he no longer looked like a monster.

But now... now he is back where he started, no, he has even less than what he started with, before he still had faith. Faith in his goals, in what he was doing, and in Dumbledore... but now... he just didn't know what to believe. He wanted to just go to sleep and when he woke up for this all to be a bad dream.

Why did the headmaster do that? He knew that Potter was evil, but attacking him in public like that? Ron shook his head, causing the tension inside it to double, momentarily blinding him because of the pain. His brain hurt, everything hurt... he just wanted it all to stop... For things to go back to how they were.

"Mr Weasley, I have a dose of pain relief for you," Madame Pomfrey said, the old matron looking at him with worried eyes.

Ron eyed the vial in her hand, taking it after a moment of hesitation, "Thank you."

"Try and get some sleep dear," she advised, unable to give him anything to help with the amount of other potions he was on for his burns.

///

Walking through the Ministry of Magic, Harry noted that it was even busier than usual.

"Look at them, the bloody sheep," Sirius hissed, looking around them with scorn.

"Think they're here for the old man?" Harry asked, eying the reporters with amusement.

"Without a doubt."

"Then they will be in for a shock."

"I hope Amelias got decent guards on him, I wouldn't put it past his more enthusiastic followers to try something to free him from his hospital bed."

Harry hummed, a part of him hoped they did, as it would give them a chance to enact their revenge. Oh, he knew the old man would suffer in Azkaban, but that would be a distant suffering, Harry wanted his revenge to be much more personal.

Sirius eyed him, "...or not?"

Harry let out a soft laugh, "I don't doubt Amelia has put her best on the job."