Unravelling a web

Previously

Sirius grumbled about demented elves, making Harry laugh. "It's not funny! I swear, if it wasn't for the fact that you so clearly like him, that elf would be gone," Sirius whined.

"Then it's a good thing he's my friend," Harry said, just as Kreacher popped back with their lemonade.

Hearing his Little Master defend him, Kreacher puffed up his chest with pride and poured the Little Master a glass, leaving the pitcher for the mutt and wolf to help themselves. The Little Master was such a good Master, just like Master Regulus had been, defending poor Kreacher.

After they had drunk their lemonade, Sirius asked if Harry wanted to duel. Harry considered it, but he knew he would only get frustrated in the end having to restrict himself. He needed to find a cure for Tom, as then he would feel comfortable coming clean.

Declining, Harry said he was actually feeling quite tired. As it was nearing nine, he would instead head to bed after having a bath.

~

2nd August 1992

The next day, Harry and the two men floo'd into Diagon Alley at noon for their meeting with Dodge. Each wore outer cloaks with hoods pulled up to try and remain inconspicuous in the busy summer crowds.

Entering the bank, Harry walked ahead, leading the men to Ragnok's office. Harry greeted each goblin with a nod as he passed them. The meeting was being held in Gringotts to ensure privacy and to keep the goblins, especially Ragnok, up to date.

After knocking, Harry entered and saw that Dodge was already inside. Standing, the law wizard shook Harry's hand first as he was technically his boss even though Sirius held more political power. After their greetings were done, they all took a seat.

Ragnok looked over Harry and smiled. "It is good to see you, Harry," the goblin said.

"Likewise, my friend," Harry responded.

Ragnok turned to Sirius then. "You are looking better as well, Lord Black."

Sirius nodded. "Thank you, Chief Ragnok. My health has improved dramatically under the care of both the goblin healers and those at St. Mungo's."

Dodge interrupted the good news, "That is good, Lord Black. Your strengthening health will reduce the opposition's case against you."

Sirius turned his head to better look at the lawyer. "I believe my medical records will show that, although I'm am yet at full strength, I have increased to a level which is acceptable."

"Good, good," the lawyer said, appraising Sirius with his eyes.

"Have you any idea who Dumbledore has hired to go against you?" Harry asked. He didn't know any law wizards or witches, really.

Dodge smiled slightly ferally. "Oh, yes. Her name is Miranda Jenkins; I believe she is the niece of Elphias Doge. Young girl, she has some potential but she is too firmly in Dumbledore's pocket to truly reach it."

"She won't be a problem, then?" Remus asked. He had spent the last few days worrying, especially about his influence on the trial.

"No, not for me," Dodge assured.

"Good," Harry said. He remembered Doge from his last life and how fiercely he had defended Dumbledore after he died. It didn't surprise him that he followed the old man now.

"Now Harry, as for you, I've been in contact with Madam Bones. She's allowed me to see the evidence of your abuse and let me tell you: this case, as far as I can see, should be a clear win. Your medical reports, as well as the correspondence from your family, shows their treatment and dismissal of you."