Changed

When Derek knew he could open his eyes again, he took a big deep breath of oxygen; He felt like he had just died. "Oh my fucking God", Derek said as he continued to take in big gasps of air, "Oh Jesus". He could hear voices outside his room and wondered how long he had been out for. Derek sat up and looked at his hand's, he felt different, like he didn't own his body anymore. He wasn't going to get psyched out by a woman who is in prison at the moment. He looked up at the ceiling and decided to get up. The door suddenly swung open with a doctor and his parents marching in. "Your awake", the doctor said, "Excellent". Derek looked at Gary, who had tear marks down his face and was holding Elle very tight. "How long has it been?", Derek asked, sitting back up again. "You have been here for two days", the doctor answered, "You have been awake briefly but you probably just remember being asleep". Derek could only remember that house he went into, whatever world he was in then. "We will keep you in overnight", the doctor began, "And if all is good in the morning, you are free to go". The doctor exited the room and left Gary and Elle with Derek. Neither knew what to say. 

"Do you remember anything?", Gary asked finally after five minutes of sitting in silence. Derek decided to keep the house part to himself, "No", he answered, "I don't". "You have us a goddamn heart attack", Gary said, "I'd never gone through anything like that". Derek nodded, "I'm okay though,s nothing to worry about", he said. Gary and Elle forced smiles, they weren't sure if everything was okay. "It felt so weird", Derek said, trying to keep the conversation going as he hated silence, "It felt like I was floating". "I've only passed out once or twice", Gary said, "It felt like an eternity for me to wake up". Derek lay back down in his bed, he glanced over at the time on the TV playing on mute, it was only twelve-thirty. "You guys don't have to stay if you don't want to", Derek said, "You know I'm fine now". "We thought we had lost you", Elle said, "We won't leave until you walk out with us tomorrow". Derek nodded and respected his parent's wishes, he just wished they would keep some sort of conversation going. 

When Derek was finally let out of the hospital, he felt weird again. He got in the back of Gary's car as Elle was in the front seat. "What day is it?", Derek asked as Gary started the car and let it warm up a bit. "It is a Sunday, bud", Gary answered, "But we will keep you off til Tuesday to make sure your okay". "I want to go to school though", Derek said, "I've missed a lot of work". "We've explained to the school why your out", Elle said, "Your principal wants you to tale as much time as you need. You can get your schoolwork emailed". Derek knew the harder it would be to return to school the longer he was off, and the stares from the other kids when he returned. "Tuesday it is then", Derek said as the rain started to decorate his window. His nightmares would start to get worse.