Not A Good Day

Derek was still up when his alarm went off. He felt terrible and his eyes were red and unrested. His felt stiff in his bed and he didn't want to get up. Derek turned his alarm off but barely had any strength to bring himself to get up. He knew his night terrors were coming back but he didn't want to tell Elle or Gary as it would just concern them. His ears could hear Elle down the hall singing a song he had heard on the radio. Derek winced as he got up and straightened up. He finally got up and he noticed he was in his blue pyjamas when he went to bed in grey ones. Derek shrugged it off and headed down to the family to eat breakfast. The news was on and for the first time in a while, Marlene didn't make the news. He breathed a sigh of relief and actually tried to enjoy the morning.  

Gary gave a small smile as Derek got out of the car to go back to school. Derek looked at the bright school and pulled his hood up. He didn't want to get noticed, Detek just wanted to get through life. He had been through hell and death, he could surely make it through school. As Derek walked through the door, he kept his head down and made a quick path to his locker, number 999. He knew some kids knew him, but they didn't talk, they just stared. Derek witnessed freshmen getting harassed on the way to his locker. None of them dared touch him. Today would be a bit different from an ordinary day; Today was his first basketball practice. Derek was looking forward to this, he just hoped his head would let him get there. His first class was Biology with a terrible teacher who should have retired a millennium ago. Derek slammed his locker door shut and he slumped down against them. Today was not going to be a good day.