Barely Staying Afloat

Derek paced up and down the house as he got the nerve to go out again and go and confront his demons. He wrote Elle and Gary a note explaining he had a test and went to school early to study. Derek blessed himself and said a prayer before he left the house again. He walked out the front door and didn't look back; He knew he wasn't coming back. Derek tried to keep cool as his feet hit the pavement, walking to the God-awful house. Each step he took Derek counted as they could be his last on the outside. Derek took a deep breath and stopped. He looked up and he saw the house. This was the beginning of the end. He sat opposite it for a minute on the kerb. He thought back to all the incidents in that house and this filled him with rage. Derek stood up and exhaled. It was now or never. He marched into the house and kicked the door down. He put his hands on the back of his head and started crying. "Is this what you wanted?", Derek screamed, "You made me this way you bitch! I have blood on my hands and my life is over!". Derek screamed until his throat hurt and felt raw. He sat on the rubble and thought. He knew how this was going to play out; Gary and Elle would report him missing when he didn't show up to get picked up from school and then he would get found and confess to everything. It was all over.