Recover

When Elle and Gary heard the crash, they rushed down to the kitchen, expecting to find a burglar. Instead, they found a frozen Derek, watching the news. Elle rushed to Derek's aid while Gray turned the TV off. "Oh, honey", Elle said, "No no no". "How could she", Derek said, nearly whispering as he was in that much shock. "Cause she's a coward", Gary said, "They announced it last night, we tried to stop you from finding out". Derek nodded. "Will I have to testify against her?", he asked tears in his eyes. Elle and Gary could neither answer that question. "We don't know", Elle said. "We won't put you harms way", Gary said, "That's for sure". Derek nodded, "I'm sorry for dropping the plate", he said, crouching down to pick it up. Elle crouched down before him and picked the broken pieces up. "No school for you", Gary said, "Go back to bed". Derek headed back to his room and started crying. Why couldn't Marlene just fess up?

Around nine in the morning, Derek headed back to the living room to find Elle washing up the kid's breakfast plates. "Hey", Elle said in a soothing tone, "How are you feeling?". Derek shrugged, "I'm okay I guess". "It's okay to feel angry", Elle said, "After all she did to you and the rest of those poor kids". "The jury will hopefully see right through her", Derek said, sitting down and turning the TV back on. Marlene thankfully wasn't on the TV, instead the news covering a break-in. "Is there anything you want to do today?", Elle asked, sitting by Derek. "Not much really", Derek said, "I'll probably just do my own thing". Elle nodded, accepting that. "Gary will be back soon", she said, "I have to go to work, so be safe". Derek smiled a goodbye as Elle headed to her office. Derek got dressed, headed out into the sunny morning and walked to the woods by their house. He took a deep breath and screamed at the top of his lungs. This was going to be a hard day.