Chapter 2. The woman he married

Walking down the hallways towards his wife's private hospital room, the solemn man was as expressionless as ever, but if one looked closer they could see his jaws clenched a little in discomfort.

For the woman who was expected to die, once the caesarian was done, to suddenly wake up. He did not know what image he would see in front of his eyes when he would be face to face with her. Not to mention, the last time they met, just before her accident, things were left unpleasant, to say the least, for both of them.

So certainly he was not prepared for the view that greeted him, as soon as he opened the door.

The young woman, he only knew as a cold hearted perfect doll, was now sleeping on one side, cuddling her big belly protectively in her arms. The wrapped hands around her protruding abdomen, felt like she was protecting a precious treasure.

She looked nothing like the last time he saw her, when the doctor informed him of the pregnancy.

Unlike the previous appearance of a beautiful doll, but a lifeless one at that, at this moment, for some unknown reason, he could not take his eyes away from the petite beauty that exuded nothing but frailty and warmth.

" 'Your side of the family is the one who wants an heir. Honestly, I could care less to have a child, so if or when we have one, it will be your responsibility!' The woman said without remorse or care, it was as if she was talking about the ownership of a troublesome object that she could live without.

'Alright!' He replied impassible, for her to renounce any right on the child was even better. He doubted that the woman, who was known as his newly wedded wife, was capable of being a mother. And he also wanted to have a clear standing where the marriage was at.

'Then let's make a contract for the future.

As soon as you give birth, you will renounce your parenting rights in my favor. We could also divorce if you want, and you will receive all the assets you inherited from your grandfather, no penny less, plus a substantial alimony from me, as compensation for the divorce.'

'Perfect!' She said, a small emotionless smile that did not reach her eyes decorating her small face.

'But what happens if I don't get pregnant? We could both be healthy as the tests we took showed, but it is still not a clear guarantee we will conceive.' The woman asked, remembering this issue. She wanted to clear all doubts, which in fact were in accordance to his own wishes.

'Then we will also set a time limit. I will have my lawyer send a draft to yours, before we legalize and sign the contract!' He replied in an orderly professional matter.

'Yes. Please have it ready before the first night we spend together. I want to be certain of it first.' she said in a similar manner, satisfied with their transaction.

He nodded, already having his phone by his ear as it was connecting to the lawyer."

'Mister Black, can I have a word with you before you check on your wife?' The doctor, who arrived near him, whispered slowly, so as to not wake up the patient. The unexpected voice interrupted the man's remembrance of the past, of his wedding day.

'Yes!' He said, turning around to follow the doctor to his office.

As they both sat, the doctor started speaking without further ado.

'As I am sure, Mister Jacobs has been keeping you updated with the information we sent, regarding your wife's state. I believe it is quite a wonder for you as it was for us, the team of doctors who have taken care of the lady for this period of time, of her regaining consciousness I mean.