Chapter 39. The rightful owner of the promise

(A/N) Copyright © TURTUREL, 2021.

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from me, the only legal owner of this book.

Please keep in mind, that "The convenient marriage" is only lawfully published on Wattpad. If you are reading this book on any other site it is illegally published on that particular site.

Please also note that I will take legal actions against any infringement of my copyrights.

**************

Victoria Black, the only daughter of old master Black, had been groomed since young to become the president of the Black consortium, the one who was to lead the gigantic conglomerate with an iron fist. Old master Black never had the smallest intention other than to pass his seat to his daughter.

To ensure the leadership would be only for Victoria, the old master had even selected a calm and quiet husband for the then young woman, with the former taking on his wife's name, and essentially marrying in the Black family. In this way, Victoria's last name would still be Black, leaving no one the opportunity to voice an opinion of their own against her.

Not that the distant relatives that were scattered around, still trying to claim a close connection with the main family, could utter an opposition.

Victoria Black was the sternest and most somber leader the Black's family had ever had. She was even firmer in her actions and stricter with the ones under her hire than her father had been. It goes without saying that Zane, her son, received the same discipline. Widowed at a young age, coupled with the death of her mother at an even younger age, and that of her father at a short while after marriage, she emphasized even more on ensuring the best education for Zane.

But at the same time, she was also a just and fair person. One who knew and recognized the help her family had received from others throughout the past generations. And had maintained a sincere cordiality with them, allowing their shares to be passed from parents to their children, without ever using various means to retrieve them back.

Considering the consortium's growth had reached an all-time high during her leadership and it was still growing at the same rate even now during her son's period, the shares gifted by the Black's family had their value increased by folds from their initial assessment... it wouldn't have been blamable, if she really would had done such a thing.

Nonetheless, Victoria did not, she maintained everything like how her father, grandfather and great-grandfather had left them. This principle she applied to the friendship her family held for the Langdon family and others as well.

Perhaps the only thing that could make Victoria Black disregard the matters set by her ancestors was her family. Mistakes bigger or smaller made by others with intention or without could be forgiven, although not forgotten... but her family was off limits.

This was also the case with Davis, who she was making sure was on an absolute downhill slope, adding even more obstacles for him than her son had done. The former arrogant man was left with no way out as no one in the industry was now willing to work with him, because of her. Even for a small discussion that could lead up to a business deal, Davis was refused by everyone without even as much as a word said about an investment.

He was even directly told to his very face that he had messed with the wrong person and that Victoria Black had called them up for a favor. Of course, no one would offend her, and risk getting on her bad side. Even more to get a call for a favor from her was quite a gain in itself. So naturally they all happily complied.