Chapter 6. The interrupted routine

'Ah. I was just about to get a glass of water.' She stutteringly lied. Not thinking exactly about the particular right motive to avoid him, so she did not momentarily realize she picked quite a foolish lie.

As she spoke, Zane was actually taking a bottle of water and pouring its content in a glass.

He looked at her, with his head a bit tilted, in confusion, before raising the bottle a bit for her to see it. The water was on the table, his face seemed to say.

'Right! Of course it's on the table.' She affirmed, an awkward smile adorning her face and quickly sat down.

She took the bottle he had just placed on the table, and also poured herself a drink to make her lie more real. Why would the lady of a distinguished family go and eat in the kitchen?

Trying to appear normal, and not at all flustered, she began eating her breakfast. On the outside you could say she was eating properly, but on the inside her soul was crying as she could hardly taste a thing. So much for the breakfast she thought about since she woke up.

Last night she had eaten until she had her fill and her stomach even proved it, but this was exactly why she was now having trouble eating. She was afraid to repeat the situation, and show her unlady like manner from yesterday, her nervousness reflecting on her appetite and taste buds, at every single mouthful of food.

Not to mention, his perfect table manners also did not make it better. It was like eating near a robot, making her also mindful of hers.

Several bites later, she took a napkin and gently pated her lips.

'I am full. Have a nice breakfast!' She monotonaly spoke, not meaning even a word.

'Before you leave...' Zane interrupted, just as she was about to stand up on her feet.

'Yes?' Aria waited, hoping he would not detain her for longer, as she was not feeling at ease in his presence.

'Who are Peanut A and Peanut B?' Zane asked, after a brief moment of silence.

Hearing his question, made Aria realize that Zane had been watching her the whole time she had prepared the pasta the previous night. She only talked to the twins in the beginning, when she had barely arrived in the kitchen, mentioning the nicknames. So it meant that Zane listened to her speak to children who were not even born yet, sing nursery rhymes all by herself, and there could have possibly been even some dance movements involved.

Would he consider her a mad woman now, on top of amnesiac?

'T-that ... you must've he...?' Aria still tried to deny. A mechanical and cold person like him, what if he thought to lock her in a psychiatric hospital?

'I heard you loud and clear.' Zane interrupted her, taking any chances she thought of to refute him.

She sighed, and frankly admitted, as if waiting for her sentence.

'Peanut A... and Peanut B... are the twins.' She said, almost whispering.

He frowned, making her frightened even more, as she was already imagining herself in strap clothing that people in asylums wore.

''How can you tell who is who?' Zane asked.

A question Aria had not thought even in a million years he would ask. Was this why he had frowned? He had not found it odd she had spoken to them, but the fact that she could tell them apart?

'Ahhh... you see, when the OBGYN doctor did an ultrasound at the hospital she mentioned that one of the children is a bit more active than the other, and it also seems that way to me. I think one of them kicks a bit more harshly than the other.' She replied enthusiastically, glad to talk about the twins.