Chapter 10. A slight touch

Wearing a white maternity dress that faded to a pinkish undertone at its bottom part just a bit higher than her ankles, a loose fluffy oversized cardigan matching the color of the dress, and a pair of white flat shoes, Aria was slowly descending the stairs helped by a maid.

She was almost seven months pregnant at this point, and although she could walk fine on her own, for safety reasons the maids had started helping her up and down the stairs. 

A helping hand she had wanted to decline, but once the servant girls mentioned the babies and their safety, Aria had refused no longer.

'I am sorry. Have you waited long?' She asked, slightly wheezing, a clear indication that she had rushed to get ready in time, but as a pregnant woman unfortunately she had encountered some problems, and the perfectly planned time could not be kept in order.

For one, she had lost count of how many times she had needed to use the bathroom. She had a smoothie in the morning, a lot of water and a glass of orange juice afterwards, so it was no wonder. Though she would have still made it in time, if she had not touched with her belly some cosmetics, smearing her dress.

So changing her clothes, in between visits to the restroom, had landed her in the current tardiness.

'It is alright. We have plenty of time, and even if we don't, the doctor we'll wait for us. Don't tire yourself out!' Zane said with a normal stone face, but a hint, a very small small hint of a gentle tone could be heard. For some reason, he kept overlapping her normal rosy face from today to the one from last night, so he felt afraid that she would cry, even if he did not reprimand her, and just talked like his usual self. 

Of course, this was his personal opinion, Aria had already recuperated her cheery outlook on life, and decided to take thing as they came. Besides, she was not that softhearted as to cry at small things. She had also gotten used to his normal tone, and would not take it to heart.

Anyway, perhaps she had just needed the outburst of emotions to calm down and start anew. It was just that she had not wanted to do so in front of the handsome man in front of her. 

Looking at Zane, she sighed with a voice others would think she felt relieved hearing his words, but inside her mind she was actually appreciating Zane dressed in casual clothes. With a v-neck nude colored sweater, black pants and casual shoes, nobody would ever think of him as one of the most powerful men currently in the country. He resembled more an actor or a famous superstar.

But unfortunately, this was only when one checked him from the feet up until they reached his neck, because if they moved their gaze to his face, they would realize that he had a stone like appearance. 

If he just smiled a bit more, she was sure the ladies would flood to his side, in fact this was the reason of her sighing. Surely no matter how beautiful he was, who would want to freeze staying in his presence each time. Unbeknownst to Zane, Aria had already classified him as a pitiful man, and could not picture any woman in love with him.

Come to think of it, she did wonder how he would look like with a smile on that almost android like face of his. Not a small smile, or a smirk, but a real genuine sunshine like smile... she really could not imagine him with one. Nodding her head at his words, she was still trying to visualize how he would look, as she reached for the backseat's door. 

'What are you doing? Don't open the backdoor.' 

She jolted a bit and immediately retracted her hand, looking towards him, as she did not understand why he stopped her. Was it because she wanted to open the door herself, and did not wait for the maid to do it?