Chapter 13. A status upgrade

In the quiet atmosphere, the two sat side by side in the car, enjoying the emotional notes of Bach's Cello suit number 5 - Prelude. 

Although both of them had a clear preference for the piano amongst all the musical instruments, one could not deny that this particular emotional song played by the cello could stir emotions one did not know one was even capable of feeling.

Aria had never felt so cared for, like she had been these past weeks, in all her previous life... and in the last week, even more so. 

The small gestures, the big gestures, all of it unwittingly touched her heart. This stoic man beside her, even his driving felt attentive somehow. Each time he was about to take a curb, and especially when he had to suddenly brake at one point, his hand subconsciously appeared in front of her abdomen, in a protective stance. Perhaps he felt that even though she had the seatbelt on, the sudden force caused by the abrupt changes in speed could still harm her.

Honestly, when she met him for the first time at the hospital, she would have never thought he could be so gentle, it almost felt like he was her ...

'Achoo!'

His sneeze stopped her ongoing thoughts, as she looked towards him a bit worried. The atmosphere had been so quiet since they left the mall, even the small puppy was silent in his cage on the back seat, right truly a peaceful afternoon...

'Achoo!' 

Except for a certain someone's constant sneezes.

'I know I asked you already, but are you sure you don't want to return to the hospital? You might have gotten a cold.' Aria asked worried. If it happened once or twice it wouldn't have been a problem, but it was already the hundredth time he...

'Achoo!' ... sneezed.

'I am alright!' Zane assured her, trying to seem sincere enough, because he did not wish to make her realize the exact cause of his sneezes, and by going to the doctor he wouldn't be able to hide it, but his runny nose and slightly moist eyes did not help him at all. 

She frowned at his denial, and was a bit at a loss. Normally, it wouldn't have bothered her, he was a grown up so was indeed capable of taking care of himself, more so than her, the evidence being the previous experience. And this was the exact problem, she felt guilty because of his constant good willed gestures, and honestly wanted to help him in some way, or at least not turn a blind eye at his health.

'Achoo!' He sneezed again, even though he was trying to abstain to breathe in the air which made his nose tickle and thus keep on sneezing.

Aria sighed and slowly and a bit embarrassed, raised her hand towards his forehead, gently checking his temperature. Even his face looked a bit red, and she was almost certain he was running a fever. But contrary to her expectations, apart from being a bit red, the temperature felt under her small hand  was still within a normal range, although it felt as though it was bit by bit increasing after she kept her hand rested gently on his forehead.

How could she know, that the reason for the redness on his face which was initially caused by a furry ball, was accentuated even more by her touch?

 Even though this gesture of hers was something that Aria was accustomed to because she was older than most of the children at the orphanage in her past life, and so was a somewhat older sister to them, it did not mean it was an usual occurrence for Zane as well.

Surrounded by mostly servants all his life, each sign of a cold was taken care of by a doctor, and treated accordingly by him. His temperature was also properly found out by using a thermometer, who would touch his forehead and verify it in this way? This touch of hers, felt more personal to him, than when he had previously held her hand.