Chapter 51. A mother's resentment

"The children are doing alright. The smaller of the two has also started breathing on his own and doesn't need to be in the incubator anymore. The doctor said he will keep them for another week just to be sure there are no complications. But it's almost certain that by next Monday the latest we will be able to bring them home." Victoria spoke with a small tone.

A quiet almost whispering voice unlike her usual self left Victoria's mouth. It would appear that she was mindful of interrupting the sleep of the small beauty that laid motionless on the hospital bed, although her attentiveness regarding this fact was unfortunately unnecessary.

An outside person, seeing this scene, might have also thought that Aria was truly only sleeping, Victoria in the same way tended to feel the current situation as such... Maybe it was because she hoped for Aria to only be momentarily unconscious, or perhaps she had been influenced by her son, who was acting as though Aria was only sleeping, unable to accept her coma state.

But deep down inside their minds and hearts no matter how they wanted to deny it, the both of them were fully aware that even if they raised their voice the sleeping beauty would not open her eyes, she was already too far gone to come back.

Even the most optimistic of doctors who had received her chart and data gave her almost no chance whatsoever of recovery. And with each passing day that chance became definitely impossible. It was no wonder, after all not even the smallest brain wave could be detected on the machine which monitored her state.

Zane did not verbally reply to the information his mother had relayed to him, he barely even nodded to signify he was listening to her words, keeping the same soundless atmosphere. But Victoria knew he was aware of what she had said, he just couldn't find it in himself to do more than he was already doing.

"It's been more than a week already... are you still not even going to come take a single look at the children?" Victoria sighed as she watched the tall man crouched near the bed.

He was ever so gently and carefully wiping Aria's hands and face with a damp cloth, keeping her clean. Everything that a nurse should do, with the exception of the medical part, he would do. There was no need for a nurse to even be mindful of the intravenous drip. As soon as it was depleted, Zane would have already informed them of this.

"You are already taking care of them. There's no need for me..." Zane started to say after a moment of silence, his hands not stopping for a second from their movement.

"You are their father. Zane, they need at least one of their parents by their side. They should also have your care..." Victoria could understand why Zane took care of Aria, she had never advised him otherwise. But the children also needed him. For five days straight not even once had he gone to see them, not even a glance or a word did he direct towards the children.

Even though they were only babies at this moment, the bond of a parent and child needed to already be forming between them. She feared that if Zane was like this from the very beginning, he would only grow apart from the twins. It felt as though part of the blame of Aria's current state in Zane's eyes could also be attributed to the children, and as such he refused to care about them.

That night the doctor had told them that Aria's pregnancy had been a burden on her body, further helping in declining her health. Hearing this at that time, Zane had kept mumbling that it was all his fault, he had ordered the doctors to keep the pregnancy.

Both Victoria and Malcom had tried to convince him otherwise, but he hadn't listened to them at all, he had only stared vacantly towards Aria and did not talk to them or exchanged a word more. He did not even bother to contradict them, but it only meant that he took it as the truth, and did not accept another opinion.