Chapter 36. A body as fake as the heart

'I couldn't believe it, when I heard about the accident. It just left us shocked at that time. I and my parents as well... we all wished to come and see you. But at first visits weren't allowed, then it became difficult for us to see you in that helpless state. To see you perfectly healthy one moment, then in a vegetative state... I am so happy you are alright.' Aileen's voice had a clear hoarseness added to it, as the slightly trembled words were uttered.

'Don't worry about it.' Aria replied smiling a bit, and did not intend to issue comments on her words too much, if any at all.

Inviting Aileen inside the office with her some moments ago, was only with the motive of finding some things about the past. So she wasn't planning on clearing her small doubt as to why the people claiming to be her family hadn't visited the previous Aria during her hospitalization.  For one, she did not have a family in her previous life, so for her to not get hospital visits was already something normal. And for two, If she spoke one way or another with too many words, it would sound suspicious. 

As Zane had put it before, there could be people who would take advantage of her for having the Black last name. And as she was not aware just how close this person was to the previous Aria, even more so she could not show any weaknesses to be taken advantage of. As such, she had only mentioned that her mind was a bit foggy from time to time, which made it difficult to recognize people at a glance. She did not state upfront that all the memories of the past were inexistent.

And as for how she had the courage to pull such a stunt when she could perhaps be easily discovered, well it was because of Zane. He was supposed to arrive any minute now, so the conversation would not be long enough for the other person to realize her bluff... she hoped.

'Anyway, you look so different now. I almost walked passed by you earlier.' Aileen stated then took a sip of water from the glass the maids had offered her before they left, trying to clear her hoarseness away. 

'Do I look that different than in the past?' Aria asked trying not to sound noticeably curious. She was already relieved enough that the conversation was going towards the direction she wanted it to, right from the start... because honestly she really did not know how to lead it herself towards the past without raising some flags to the other person.

'Yes. Well for one, the make-up free face and the clothing style totally opposite to your usual one, these were things you would never do without.

And for two, the pregnancy I guess. It changes a person.' Aileen analyzed her thoughts as to why Aria had given off a different feeling than before, but still felt there was something else which set the current Aria apart from the previous her. It was the general aura surrounding her, perhaps?

'Ahh... the make-up is not good for the babies, they may contain harmful substances inside. And the clothes, well maternity dresses would make some look different than usual, as they emphasize more on comfort. I can't wear high heels or tight fitting clothes at all lately.' Aria reasoned smiling a bit. Pleased as new mothers would be when talking about the pregnancy, she started cuddling her hands around her belly protectively.

'Those words... Well this could be the third reason, or better said the most important reason as to why you appear so different than the past. To see you now so happy as an expectant mother is truly strange. Even more because you seem to truly care about the pregnancy.' Aileen said as she nodded her head to emphasize her words. More than anything a happy Aria because of such a reason... it was truly strange, to say the least.

'Is it?' Aria asked intrigued, as her heart skipped a beat. Could her words have perhaps sounded too different than what the real Aria would think of this kind of a matter?