Chapter 33. A dotting husband's care

Just as Aria expected, being at the apartment was better.

Even though Zane was still quite attentive with her, it wasn't as excessive as it had been at the hospital. She had been frightened thinking he would be glued to her like he had been during the last two days. But realistically speaking, Zane was still the president of a large consortium... thankfully.

Though he had set his mind that he wouldn't visit the office for the whole week, how could a large group of companies properly function without its leader? 

The first and second day in the hospital, it had still been quiet. The incoming calls he received had kept under an average of one or two every couple of hours.

Wednesday, the day of her discharge,  they increased a bit more. Until on Friday it had gotten to the point his phone kept ringing at just about less than half an hour. 

Not that Aria was complaining about it. She felt grateful each time Zane's phone would ring, and the stern man would have to leave her and go to work. Of course he wouldn't leave the apartment, he would only move to the office he had next to the living room, to check on his emails and the files he would receive. But it was still better than before.

She was even doing happy dances in her mind, each time he sighed as his phone lighted up, showing most likely another work related caller's ID. It was rude of her to actually feel happy about another person's misfortune, but she really couldn't help it. 

Aria at some theoretical level had become aware that the nature of their relationship would change, but thinking of the change as real, for her was still something of the future. Thus she was still in denial that the future was actually already here.

Each time her hazel green eyes met the blue ocean ones, she would inadvertently for some reason lower her gaze until she would reach his soft perfectly shaped lips, causing her to remember the heart throbbing kiss. It also wasn't helping her the fact that after that moment, Zane's face had become brighter. The usually stone mechanical man who did not seem capable of sketching the slightest inkling of a human expression before, would now show a small smile to Aria, every time she called his name.

At first she had thought it was only a coincidence, but she soon realized that it was a deliberate act. As to how she arrived to this conclusion... well she had tested it.

It had even become a hobby of hers of sorts. Though she felt she could breathe more easily when Zane was not in the same room, and wished for him to go away when he stayed a bit more near her... at the same time, ironically when he would return after finishing his work, she would now intentionally call his name, just to see that exact smile of his. 

Why would she feel compelled to do such a thing, was beyond her, but she couldn't help it. Was she becoming crazy?

She would ponder about this every time she remained alone, and would promise herself she wouldn't do it anymore. But such a vow would vanish instantly from her mind, when he would come back, and she would do it again. It was just like an unstoppable vice.

Sometimes she would even think that perhaps this was why she liked when he went away. It was just to have the chance to call his name when he came back. As her mind wandered about, pondering about this, the inquiries in her mind doubled, then tripled, confusing her more.

 Was she actually enjoying the fact that he would quickly return to her side, without waiting a moment longer after he would finish his work? And this was why she liked when he went away? Did the fact that she appeared the most important to him these days, despite his workload, tickled her heart, making her feel spoiled and pampered.