Chapter 40. A true heart

(A/N) Copyright © TURTUREL, 2021.

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from me, the only legal owner of this book.

Please keep in mind, that "The convenient marriage" is only lawfully published on Wattpad. If you are reading this book on any other site it is illegally published on that particular site.

Please also note that I will take legal actions against any infringement of my copyrights.

**************

As opposed to Victoria, Eliza Langdon had found it difficult to accept the shackles her father wanted to place on her, the presidential seat of the Langdon company.

Born as the only daughter of the old master Langdon, to take over the inheritance... it was only to be expected. On her own side, Victoria had accepted her family's burden, working sincerely towards this goal. 

Eliza, on the other hand, had felt that it would have been better for her family's company to be handled by an experienced man who was to become her husband.

This was Eliza's belief, one she would affirm with certainty towards Victoria Black. A belief that Victoria was a hundred per cent  sure it did not actually come from Eliza herself.

Victoria had grown up with Eliza. How would the Blacks' future master, an intelligent and keen woman, not know her best friend's feeling?

Although Eliza had a bright cheery personality, and seemed for the most part not that interested in her family's company, showing an inclination for  the piano and for painting, she had still given her best in learning the business world's ropes.

Eliza Langdon had studied alongside her for years, both working towards the same goal. If Eliza had changed her view for the future, it was only because of a new presence in her life. It was only because of a man who was slowly but strongly manipulating her into thinking in the way she currently was. This was what Victoria's instincts were telling her, and as she was briefly introduced to Eliza's lover and had talked to him directly, it became a certainty.

The smart lover had started small at first, building up his influence over Eliza's mind. He expressed his support for her endeavors thoughtfully, then worked his way up by telling her they should work alongside each other. Until a while later, it had become a belief for Eliza that a woman should be safeguarded inside a comfortable home, away from all the working troubles, leaving such matters to a protective husband. 

If she was inclined to study the piano and painting, she should follow her heart, while he, her husband, would carry on his shoulder the family's company. Such thoughts in reality wouldn't have been that bad, if the man's intentions would have been pure, and not littered with ulterior motives. 

By the time Victoria had noticed such changes in her friend, it was already too late. The stubborn fool was too enveloped in her "true love" to notice the negative effects that man had on her.

Neither old master Langdon, who had been too immersed in handling the company, nor Victoria, a busy presumptive heiress who was caught up in too many classes that she had to undertake in preparation for assuming her own presidential post, noticed the changes until it was too late... they hadn't realized how much influence that man was capable of having over her.

Explanations, words, threats, pleadings, none of them worked, as Eliza believed only that man. At the end she even ran away with him for fear of being separated, when she felt they would never accept him in her life.