Fleeing & Freeing

// Recommended Royalty AU, hope you enjoy! Thank you all so much for the follows, views, and stars! Please let me know if you'd like a part two, I have it planned but I'd just like to know if you guys like this :) \\
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tommy's footsteps echoed in the castle, the entire building eerily quiet. It always was, to be perfectly honest. Guards surveyed the townsfolk and jail cells, often outside the castle rather than in. His family was constantly busy being the king and princes, leaving no room for genuine family time. It had been like this for years, loneliness becoming a tradition.

The boy, being young and creative, longed to see the outside world. The townspeople seemed happy and satisfied with their bustling and generic lives, and although the blond boy wished for a more exciting life, it was better than being forced to permanently stay in the castle walls.

His royal family told him that it was dangerous beyond the walls, and he'd be helpless without their comfort. Unbeknownst to them, their definition of comfort was the equivalent to asking for affection from a brick wall.

Despite never being allowed out, he managed to make a friend of one of the townsfolk boys. His name was Toby, and he was only a few months older than Tommy. They had met one fateful night when Tommy managed to sneak out of his cell of a tower and into the forbidden lands. The blond remembers sitting in the field, flowers and long grass tickling his bare legs and arms, sticking their tongues out at his stillness, begging him to come forward. He had chosen to deny their requests, instead turning to the stars, the small buzzing of a bee nearing his ears. When he turned to his right, he came face to face with a brown-haired boy, a smile on his face as he held a fuzzy bee on his finger. Tommy would have screamed if it hadn't been for his lack of human interaction. Since that night, Toby, or rather Tubbo, would occasionally sneak to Tommy's castle during ungodly hours when the sun was asleep.

"Tommy, are you even listening?" his older brother scolded, shoving the shorter boy to break him from his daydream.

Tommy blinked slowly, staring up at the man, who had a scowl etched into his face. The boy simply shook his head and yawned, turning on his heels as his brother followed, cursing.

"You know you have to listen to me, right?" his brother said after a while of ranting, "I'm older, the next king in line after Phil, and I'm cooler than you."

"Whatever you say, loser," Tommy rolled his eyes.

"It's Prince Wilbur to you!"

"Tommy, you're not even trying," the pink-haired man sighed, dropping the sword that he held onto the stone floor.

Tommy shook his head before copying his brother's movement, crossing his arms.

"I was paying attention. You're just a terrible teacher," the blond tried to justify.

"Sure, nerd," with that, the man had walked away.

"I'll never understand you, Tech," Tommy mumbled to himself before glancing down at the sword at his feet.

"Listen to your brothers, Tom," his father called out dully, hearing Tommy snort at one of their requests.

"No," Tommy responded, a lopsided and playful grin set on his face, eyes filled with mischief, "That's so dumb!"

"Tommy," Phil's voice became stern as he shot a look at Tommy, who's smile instantly faltered. The boy's eyebrows furrowed as Techno and Wilbur laughed, oblivious to how hard the glare had hit Tommy.