Chapter two: Here we go

Rewritten | Three

After what seemed like an eternity at the airport, and being on such a long long flight, Maisy was quite tuckered out. So tired, any anxiety about her new home was melted away by drowsiness.

And with Teddy to cuddle with in her car seat, also being used as a fuzzy make-shift pillow, her eyelids soon fluttered shut.

Beau didn't even notice until he began to wonder why she was being so silent. The social worker, Miss Green, had told him she had a strong sense of curiosity behind those brilliant hazel eyes. So naturally, it seemed a little odd that she was being so quiet. That's when he glanced in the rearview mirror, she was fast asleep.

In what felt like no time, they made it to the apartment. Beau was a little disappointed the ride was over, he was no longer able to spare adoring glances in the rear-view mirror at stoplights of her peaceful little face.

But he could make sure she continued to rest for just a little bit longer.

He carefully lifted Maisy from the car seat, gently cradling her against his chest as he grabbed Teddy and her little suitcase filled with her belongings.

Everyone was waiting upstairs for her arrival, likely in their own separate rooms, but the anticipation certainly wasn't wavering.

"Oh my goodness—You're back!"

Cassidy lowered her voice to a whisper when she saw Maisy's head rested on her twin's shoulder. She had been standing near the entrance of their duplex when Beau's keys made a little jingle as he stuck them in the door.

Her eyes fell to the little girl that she hadn't seen for years. Maisy's golden locks are just a shade lighter than her own, and with a wavy twist that Maisy shared with Eric. 

It was a mesmerizing sight, after not seeing her in so long.

"She's so beautiful." Cassidy continued to whisper, slowly bringing up her fingers to stroke Maisy's rosy cheek.

All Beau did was fondly smile back, sharing the adoration for the little girl. It had only been an hour or so, but now that she's here in his arms it's as if she was never gone.

"She is, isn't she?"

It was silent for a moment as Cassidy took in the presence of Maisy, then she broke it upon realizing something relatively important. "Where are you going to let her sleep?"

Currently, Maisy did have a bedroom upstairs. However, over the past couple of years in her absence, it had been turned into a guest room. Now it only contains a queen-sized bed, and although Maisy is a little princess—That's quite large for a four-year-old.

But luckily, before they could even worry about the subject any further, Maisy's eyes slowly opened.

It took a second for her to remember much, including these strange surroundings and Beau holding her.

But fortunately for them, Cassidy's always had a knack for being around kids.

"Hi there, sweetheart!" Cassidy kept her tone light and gentle, careful not to overwhelm her. "You've grown so much . . . Did you have a nice nap?"

Maisy nodded but shifted a little in Beau's arms, not really sure exactly how to respond. She sort of remembered her older sister, and Miss Green showed her pictures of her family, but this was still a little quick for her taste.

She couldn't help but be a little shy.

"Oh, I almost forgot—" Beau reached down to the children-sized suitcase he had left on the floor when he came in and grabbed Teddy off the top, handing it to the little girl.