Chapter five: Hurricane Maisy

Rewritten | Six

"Where is he?"

Maisy had already tipped over every single one of the couch cushions, but now she was tearing through her room as tears leaked from her eyes.

"It's okay, we'll find him," Eric reassured as he followed her, helping her look for her bear. Although, he was mostly picking up after her path of mass destruction.

Like a little hurricane. Hurricane Maisy.

Ripping off the comforter of the bed, Maisy searched and searched the sheets. But, she came up short. "Teddy?!"

A louder, scared sniffle escaped her this time. Her tears picking up as she scrambled. It was more of a cause for Eric to interfere, kneeling down next to her and patting her back as he offered a distraction. "We'll find him, Mais. How about we keep looking after dinner."

Lucky them, Cassidy had just texted saying she was bringing home dinner from work. Serving as a brief pause on Maisy's spiral.

"B-But. . .but-"

Maisy tried to protest but was quickly cut off by Eric. He grabbed her and held her upside down, blowing raspberries on her stomach until a huge smile replaced her tears.

"I promise I'll help after dinner too, okay?" He set her back down on the ground, motioning for her to follow him downstairs.

Maisy reluctantly nodded and followed Eric out of the room to go eat dinner. Eric's tickling trick had only worked for a few moments, leaving her sad again.

Before they made it to the stairs, Cassidy greeted them, coming upstairs to change out of her work clothes. The faint smell of the restaurant stuck to her tailored clothing.

"Hey, guys!" She gave them a little wave, glad to see them after her day at work. Customer service can be awful, so it's always nice to see Maisy on a hard day.

But today wasn't the same. Maisy didn't run up to hug her, only stayed next to Eric's side with a glum look on her little face.

"Aww, pumpkin," Cassidy bent down to Maisy's level, noticing the wetness upon her delicate cheeks. Since she had shown up, her maternal instincts had kicked in quite a bit. "What's the matter?"

Receiving no response, Cassidy tipped Maisy's chin up so she could see her face clearly. Gently wiping the tears away with her thumb.

"Teddy's missing." Eric finally elaborated for her, seeing as Maisy was too distraught to speak apparently.

Nodding, Cassidy looked back to Maisy. She understood the severity of the missing bear. If anything were to happen to Teddy, all of them would be damned. "Oh . . ."

"Well," She paused, to build up the suspense as she plastered a forced smile on her face. "You know, I brought you some fancy mac and cheese, just for you."

"Mac and cheese?" She sniffled, wiping her sleeve against her cheek. She likes mac and cheese.

"Yep, Beau's getting you a plate," Cassidy motioned behind her, down the stairs. "Why don't you go down and sit at the table with Miles."

Maisy complied, sulking down the stairs until she climbed onto the seat beside Miles. Not muttering a single word, only waiting for her dinner.

•. •. •.

Soon, the distraction of dinner passed, and they had no choice but to get all hands on deck. Now all of the siblings were helping flip the house upside down.