Chapter six: The Starry room

Rewritten | Seven

"I can't take her, I have to work," Beau looked to his twin, trying his best to work something out. The siblings continued to argue about who gets Maisy today, because somehow—All of them have plans at once. "Cassidy?"

"I'm managing tonight," Already dressed up in her work clothes, Cassidy was ready for a long relentless shift at the restaurant. "I won't be able to keep an eye on her, it'll be busy."

"Miles," She pointed her finger to the next option, shifting the task along. Eric was already gone, leaving them without an extra babysitter. "You take her."

Miles gave a pointed look down at his outfit, looking at them as if they were insane. A collared button-down shirt held the light scent of his earthy cologne. "I have a date!"

"And we have work!" Cassidy sarcastically imitated his dramatic tone, straightening out her blazer and gathering her things. "Just let her tag along. Where are you even going?"

Cassidy and Beau had already moved on, continuing to get ready for work as they listened. Beau, buttoning up his shirt. Cassidy slipping on her shoes.

"The planetarium," At this point, Miles had no choice but to accept defeat.

"See?" Beau, a little triumphantly, pointed out. To him, it was perfect evidence that Maisy's tagging along wouldn't be an issue. "We're out of options, and she loves stars."

The word 'stars' caught Maisy's attention from the table, assuming they were talking about her nap time. "M' not tired yet!"

"We're not talking about naps, love—" Quickly reassuring her that wasn't the case, Beau paused from his routine to kneel down in front of her. "—Miles is going to take you to a special place with stars in the ceiling."

Maisy perked up, glad they were finally finished arguing. If anything, she didn't care which sibling she went with. "Like my room?"

Smiling, Beau tousled her hair. He appreciated her enthusiasm, it was nice compared to Miles' sulking. "Yep. Go get changed."

"Thank you, Miles." He genuinely called as he followed their little sister up the stairs to help her.

None of them meant to throw a grenade into Amber and Miles' date. But, without any other options—And because Maisy loves Amber so much, it was easier to go along with.

•. •. •.

"This is what you want to wear?"

Even as a four-year-old, Maisy could sense the irritation in her older brother's tone. So, she decided not to give any attitude. "Mhm,"

"Alright, put it on." Miles handed her the bright yellow sundress she chose, giving her some time to change.

Afterward, he slid a matching headband into her hair to match—And to keep her hair tamed.

As they stood on the sidewalk while Miles waved his hand for a cab, Maisy realized she forgot to do something very important before they left the apartment.

". . . Miles?" Her voice was very small, dreading his reaction. She had been trying very hard to keep Miles in a good mood.

Sensing the guilt in her tone, Miles turned with a slight frown on his face. Wondering what could've happened in the few seconds he took his eyes off of her. "What's the matter?"