00 | the great battle of junior prom.

❝ and the rest is
rust & stardust.

- vladimir nabokov. ❞

● ● ●

"Come on Jannat, get out of the car!" Adrienne yelled for the umpteenth time at her best friend, Jannat, who was groaning in response and just sank back further into the leather seat.

"No."

"I can't believe you're refusing to come out and attend the junior prom just because that jerk refused to be your partner for the prom," Estelle stated, reapplying her lipstick. Jannat, who was observing her makeup from the back seat, wanted to point out that she was applying the wrong shade and how it wasn't bringing out the color of her eyes and seemed dull in comparison to her bright green dress, but decided against it at the last moment.

"If you don't get out in the next five minutes," Adrienne said, her hands on her waist, but still radiating real life princess vibes in her little yellow dress and her scarlet flowing hair. "I am going to punch you in the face, and you're going to have to show up on the dance floor with a bruised cheek."

"Hey! Threatening to punch others is my tagline!" Jannat murmured, but sighed and braced herself to get up anyway. Adrienne was way too keen to taste the food at the junior prom table, and Jannat, for a fact, was aware that Adrienne could punch her over and over and over again if Jannat ever separated Adrienne from her food ventures.

Slipping out of the car with next to nothing will to attend the junior prom proved to be a very difficult task for Jannat, who even considered throwing herself in front of one of those flashy cars, just to eliminate the possibility of coming face-to-face with Lucas, who had explicitly insulted her on the face when she had asked him out the to prom, and had even insinuated that he'd rather be back with his toxic ex than dancing one night with her. She didn't want to come face-to-face with Christian either, her arch-nemesis and an all time best friend of Lucas, who she was sure, would laugh on her face at the very first chance.

"You look stunning, Jannat!" Adrienne stated enthusiastically, motioning at & attempting to cheer up the girl standing beside her, clad in a blue dress, gold embellishments tapering down all the way to the waist. Unfortunately, it went in vain.

Estelle tried this time. "You know, your makeup is absolutely on fleek. The blush? The eyeliner game? The lipstick shade? Absolutely top tier."

"Thanks guys," She mumbled, but her mind was somewhere else. Even when they entered, all the eyes fixed on them, murmurs and whispers filling the hall - Jannat didn't spare a single glance at anyone else. Her eyes had never been so downcast, she hardly had an earthbound stare, but a shattering, electrical one - but today, not even Jannat's arch-nemesis could miss the absence of the light from her eyes, and that's exactly what he commented on.

"Oi Walter!" Exclaimed the boy, falling into steps beside Jannat & her friends, and Jannat offered him a brief glance, taking in his suit. The tie was thoroughly mismatched and on some other occasion, she would have made fun of it, but not today. "You looking a bit down today, your evil deeds finally draining out your soul, huh?" She ignored it, and walked away.

"Damn," Jannat heard Christian exclaim to his friends. "She must still be down from the cafeteria events. Serves her right, though."

As they walked around the corner of the hall, she could feel Sinclair's and Lucas' eyes on her.

Time seemed to tiptoe against the fast paced music of the room, and it felt like forever had passed since they had arrived here. Jannat couldn't wait to go back home, to descend back under her covers. Lucas' harsh rejection had proved to be the cold hard slap she had needed in her face for her to give up on the fairytale dream of getting together with the boy she had been crushing on forever. And it hadn't been gentle on her poor heart.