42 | we're all tangled up.

CHRISTIAN'S P.O.V

“Look, I didn't want to be so charming. If you're listening to this because you think you might be one, my advice is: do not think so, because you’re not. Believe whatever lie your mom or dad told you about your birth, and try to lead a normal life. Being charming like me is dangerous.”

Walter groaned, rolling her eyes, kicking my shin with the stabby heels of her boots. The metal of the bleacher rang with a low thud at the contact of her shoes. “I swear if you ever release this podcast, I will kill you. Boyfriend or not.”

I scowled, my mouth weighing down with a frown. I clicked close on the recorder and turned to my sweet nemesis, my worstie. The shouts of the football practice going on the field were the perfect background noise for my podcast setting. “Way to rain on my parade, Divagirl.”

“Well excuse me if I am trying to stop you from ruining the Percy Jackson series forever.” Walter drawled, her mouth puckering up annoyingly, and I swear if I weren’t so insulted by her remark, I’d have planted a kiss on her pretty mouth.

“Do not be a killjoy, Walter, and let people live their lives the way they want.”

“If I had let you live your life the way you wanted, you’d have been dead by now,” She deadpanned.

“You wound me, my love,” I murmured, taking her hand and gently guiding it over my heart. “Right here. You wounded me right here.”

“Argh,” Lucas groaned from the other side of me. “Watching you two so disgustingly in love is worse than watching you fight.”

“Stay. This is your punishment, Lucas, for all those years I had to watch Ava and you eat each other’s faces off on the couch. Just imagine how I’d have felt, mate.”

Lucas seemed to think for a moment, and then shuddered. “Oh, that must have sucked. I am sorry, bro.”

Walter smirked, and then leaned in to press a kiss to my lips.

"No!" Lucas jumped up, almost toppling over from the bleachers. "No! I am still here! No! Don't do this!"

"Yes, let's do this here," I murmured, smiling wickedly as I leaned in and pressed a kiss to the soft area where Walter's jaw met her neck. She let out a small sigh before pushing me off. "I want to scar Lucas with the memory of this and forever change the trajectory of his life."

"Oh God, I will throw up." Lucas pretended to gag. "Have you no mercy?"

"I am merciful enough," I said, letting go of Walter's waist as she hit me squarely in the chest — quite gentle for her standards — as she straightened up and shook her head. "Look, we even bought you a snake plushie for emotional support." At my statement, Lucas sidled up to his plushie even more, scowling at me. He had no regard for the fact that we were in public. Tsk.

Walter raised a brow. "You mean I bought a snake plushie. After spending thousands of pennies at the claw machine just because you insisted on this particular plushie as the perfect gift for Lucas."

I waved a hand. "You're too hung up on semantics, my darling."

"It's amazing," She paused, cocking her head at me. She had applied glitter eyeshadow today, and those shiny particles twinkled against her skin like stars, and her dark eyes looked like they too had celestial bodies trapped in them. A perfect juxtaposition. "How you retain your tendency to be so effortlessly annoying, no matter where or when. It's so consistent."

I flashed her a grin. "I assure you, it takes years of practice to be this annoying. The fact that it seems so consistent and effortless is simply a testament to the quality of my craft."