21 | even if it's just pretend.

JANNAT'S P.O.V

MY INSTAGRAM WAS BLOWING UP. Rightfully so, because Sinclair had been a wonderful photographer and had captured very flattering pictures of me in my brown and white pinstriped co-ords, my new Wolford stockings, and my new Prada heeled loafers. And I had the bouquet he had presented me with held tightly in my hands, and it went very well with the whole color scheme. 

"Nice picture you posted yesterday," Adri commented slyly. I already knew what her next statement was going to be. Adri and Este had already freaked out over it in the group chat.

"Anything else Christian is good at, other than photography?" Adri added, smiling. "Maybe some kissing? Or—" She stopped, turning towards Este. "Close your ears, Este, you're too innocent for what I am about to say next."

Este sighed. "I am sick of this! I know what sex is, okay? I'm not a kid."

"You literally ate dry cheerios and orange juice for breakfast."

"Look, you can bully me later," Este exclaimed. "It's Jannat's turn now." She swiftly turned towards me. "Jannat, Adri was about to ask you if Christian is good at anything else other than photography, such as kissing and screwing and other such amorous activities — indirectly trying to confirm her suspicions of a probable hook up between the two of you on the date."

"I wouldn't have phrased it that way," Adri said. "But yes, that."

"My God," Neil commented as he walked towards us. "I caught the words hook up. Jannat, you hooked up with Christian? And here I thought you two were going on with the—" He lowered his voice. "—crappy excuse of fake dating?"

"Okay guys, come on now," I blew out a breath, annoyed at the relentless tactics of my friends. Why was I friends with them again? "I took him to that bookstore, bought him some books, and that lifted his spirits." 

I didn't tell them about the little ice cream corner that Sinclair took me to, and then he showed me one of the songs he had once written, and told me how that when he had tried to sing it — he had swiftly realized that he indeed, had no musical abilities whatsoever. I had no idea why I didn't tell that to my friends. Probably because it seemed like an intimate thing between us. Friendship confidentiality, I suppose. 

"Now we can work on brainstorming ideas to get Lucas out of the situation. At this moment we aren't rivals because we have the same motive, alright? I am going over to his house today and we are going to talk and list out potential ideas. Plus, it wasn't  a date! And no Adri, Este, Neil, of course we didn't hook up!" I scrunched up my face. "Gross."

"Oh, so you've got another date with your boyfriend, today? At his house already?" Neil smirked. Adri whistled beside him. Este just looked lost in daydreams, as if she was listening to the greatest love story of all times.

"You guys are impossible," I said, turning back towards my locker and yanking my bag out. "Completely impossible! And Sinclair's mother invited me, of course. She is a lovely lady, can't say no to her."

"We are sure that's the case," Adri murmured. "Not that you like him or anything, but yeah, sure."

"I don't like him!" I scowled. "We are just temporarily on friendly terms because we are on the same side for now. Otherwise I can't even stand looking at him! We have years of rivalry, guys, years."

"Hot," Este murmured. "All these years have just strengthened the insane chemistry between the two of you."

"We will be having this conversation again," Adrienne murmured to me as the bell rang for the first class. Este and Neil nodded in agreement to her. "You ain't getting away from us, Jannat. I am gonna force you to spill your beans."