Chapter Seventeen

Today was not a good day. It was never going to be a particularly good day, but I certainly didn't anticipate it to be this bad. Maybe I was naive, I'd only ever been to my grandmothers funeral before and that was years and years ago and I suppose you can't really compare that to burying both of your parents.

It all started at 9am this morning, I was getting myself dressed into the outfit I had laid out for days now, I had to make sure everything was prepared. Whilst my black dress was ironed within an inch of its life and my shoes polished until I could see my reflection in them, but there was one thing I hadn't remembered. Tights. And I didn't realise until we were about to leave.

"I haven't got any tights" I breathed frantically as I walked into the lounge Damon and Graham, both in their black suits, looked up at me from the sofa. Damon jumped up from his seat and hurried over to me.

"Are you sure?" He asked me, I snapped my head across to him and glared.

"Yes I'm fucking sure" I told him, my eyes still burning a hole into him.

Graham was the next to get up, grabbing his wallet from the side before slipping his shoes on.

"I'll go get you a pair from that shop up the road" He told me, I nodded my head before looking across to the clock.

"Be quick Gra" I shouted behind him as he left.

"What am I gonna do Damon?" I asked him, as I walked back into my bedroom, him following aimlessly behind me.

"It'll be okay Lyla, you don't need to worry" He told me quietly, I turned around so I was now facing him.

"I don't need to worry? It's the day of my parents funeral and I haven't got any fucking tights" I shouted at him, I felt my cheeks turn red as a flood of tears started flowing from my eyes.

"It's not going to be okay Damon" I said shakily, in between sobs "It's really not"

He took hold of my hand and pulled me into his chest, I let my head rest against his chest as more tears spilled out of my eyes. I could feel Damon placing gentle kisses on top of my head as he mumbled calming words to me.

Luckily Graham came running into the flat a few minutes later with a bag held in his hand, he emptied the contents on my bed as he started rambling, I watched as endless pairs of tights fell out of the bag.

"I wasn't sure what colour you wanted, I thought black but then I got worried you wanted a bright colour instead and then I wasn't sure what size to get you, I didn't know if you sized up in tights and then what the fuck does denier mean? It was so confusing"

Graham made sure that the tight situation didn't escalate anymore than the few tears I had already shed. I was hoping that would be the only problem of the day, but once I was handed the order of service outside of the church, I knew the problems hadn't stopped yet.

"Why does it say Melissa?" I asked, feeling my emotion starting to grow "Why?" I asked the funeral director, who just mumbled a few incoherent words. I opened my mouth to question him more, but I felt someone grab hold of my hand to pull me away. I looked to see Graham giving me a small smile.

"It says Melissa, Graham, why? Why does it say Melissa?" I asked him frantically, he shook his head.

"I don't know Eliza" He stuttered out, I shook my head furiously.

"She was Missy, you know that Graham" I felt my voice starting to crack as another set of tears threatened to spill out of my eyes "She hated Melissa, she was a Missy, never" I paused to let the tears fall from my eyes, I bought my hand up to wipe them away harshly "Never ever a Melissa"

Graham pulled me into a hug, similar to how Damon had done earlier that morning, and gently rubbed my hair. I could tell he was trying desperately to calm me down and I was really trying my best to stop the tears, I just couldn't.

"It's okay Eliza" I heard a voice say, I looked up from Graham's chest and saw Dave standing there, a weak smile on his face.

"It's not" I insisted, shaking my head once again.

"It is, because everyone knows she was Missy, everyone who was important to her knew she was a Missy and that's what matters" I went to disagree with him, but I stopped myself, I knew he was right. Instead, I nodded my head and gave him a smile.

The actual service went as well as could funerals go, Damon and Graham did an acoustic version of 'Can't help falling in love' by Elvis Presley. It, perhaps, wasn't the most conventional of funeral songs but it was their first dance song and I just knew I had to have it at the funeral.

I really didn't want to go to be at the wake, I really really didn't want to be at the wake  wanted no, I needed, to go home and get into my bed.

"Can we go home?" I whispered to Damon, he was stood with me by the door of the pub, welcoming people in.

"Not yet Lyla" He said with a shake of his head, I sighed and nodded my head. He didn't even give me any reasons but I knew he was right.

I mingled and socialised to the best of my ability, all everybody could tell me was how sorry they were, yet sorry just wasn't good enough. Sorry doesn't bring them back, not ever.

"Damon, I really want to go now" I whined to him, we had been here for a good few hours now and if I had wanted to go home when we first got here then I certainly wanted to go home now.

Damon agreed this time, making me say goodbye to a few people before calling a cab to take us back to mine.

As soon as we stepped through the door I kicked my heels off and dropped my bag, heading straight for my bedroom.

"What's the plan?" Damon asked as he walked into the bedroom behind me, my shoes and bag in his hands.

I threw myself onto the bed and then looked up at him. Before I could say anything I was hit with a wave of emotion, suddenly the tears started to fall and before I knew it I was curled up on the bed, completely sobbing.

Damon had quickly dropped what he was holding and came and sat himself next to me, gently rubbing my hair but most importantly, just letting me cry it out.

"I don't think I can do this Damon" I whispered once the tears had started to slow down, I moved across so that my head was now on his lap and smiled slightly as he automatically put his hands to my head, picking out strands of hair to play with.

"Of course you can darling" He responded, his voice as gentle and quiet as mine had been.

"I can't Damon, everything is too much now" I told him, hearing my voice crack again, I couldn't possibly have anymore tears left to cry.

"One day at a time Lyla, we'll take each day as it comes" He told me quietly, I nodded my head slightly, even one day at a time seemed like too much for me.

"I'll be with you every single step of the way, I promise you" He whispered, I nodded my head again and bit down on my lip as I tried to control the tears which were once again, threatening to spill from my eyes.

"I really miss them Dames" I told him quietly, almost smiling once the tears started flowing again, it turns out I did have more tears left to cry.

"I know darling, I know" He responded before taking a deep breath, then reaching my hand up to his mouth, to place a gentle kiss onto the back of it.

"But they're looking over you, okay? They're going to look after you from up there, just how I'm going to look after you from here"

A/N

Okay so I HATE writing sad things, so I hope this was okay!!

Has anyone seen the article about Damon cutting his finger on a blender? I'm not sure if it'll work but I'll link it below. I cut the exact same finger on a blender back in November and I had to have surgery on it (which i still haven't fully recovered from, honestly fingers are SO much hassle!!) but it makes me feel like less of an idiot for doing it because Damon's done the same thing😂

Okay so I can't get the article link to paste but just google Damon Albarn blender lol