Chapter Forty-Six

"Elizabeth Delilah Green, will you marry me?"

I dropped to my knees so that our eyes were level, I let the smile grow on my face as I shook my head in disbelief.

"Yes" I exclaimed "Yes of course I will Damon"

He slipped the ring onto my finger before engulfing me in his arms, passionately pressing his lips against mine.

"I'm going to marry you, I'm actually going to marry you" He mumbled, looking between the ring on my finger and the smile on my face.

I pulled his face towards mine and placed another kiss onto his lips, it was a surreal feeling and I wasn't sure if it had actually sunk in that we were doing it. We were actually engaged, for real.

"I love you Lyla" He whispered, I reached up and wiped the stray tears from his face, gently stroking his cheek as I did so.

"I love you too Damon, so so much" I replied, my smile almost feeling as though it would split my face in two.

As we were leaving the Perlan we had agreed to go to as many bars as we possibly could, however, now he had proposed, I now couldn't keep my eyes, let alone my hands, off of him. We had decided that the bath and then the sauna both sounded far more appealing.

"When do you want to have the wedding?" I asked him, we were both lying in bed now, in the relaxed stage of almost being asleep "I was thinking maybe a spring wedding next year"

"Tomorrow" He mumbled, his eyes closed but a small smile on his face.

"Tomorrow?" I questioned, my voice rising slightly as I laughed "We can't get married tomorrow Damon, don't be ridiculous"

"Why not?" He questioned, his eyes were slightly open now as he looked up at me.

"So many reasons!" I exclaimed loudly, laughing as I did so "We've got no guests here, what about your family? We haven't even planned a wedding and I haven't got a dress or any flowers or anything!"

"We don't need any of that darling" He smiled lazily, I opened my mouth to object but he kept on talking "We've got an appointment with the registrar in about, erm eight hours"

"You're joking" I said sharply, I'm all for surprises but this was one step too far.

"I didn't want to wait any longer love" His eyes had opened wider at my harsh tone and his was now watching my face, trying to read my expression.

"But what about what I wanted Damon?" I asked him sharply, sitting myself up so that my back was resting upon the headboard "Getting married is a big fucking deal"

"I know it is darling, that's why I didn't want to waste any time" He told me calmly, his calm tone only wound me up further.

"But we haven't got the boys, or even your fucking parents here" I told him, my eyebrows furrowed as I tried to comprehend what he had said to me "What about Graham? I always thought he would be your best man"

"I know love, but I've wasted so many years not being with you, I didn't want to start another year without you as my wife" He told me, reaching across to gently take hold of my hand.

"It just feels too fast Damon, I mean we've only been together for a few weeks"

"Well I've been infatuated with you for the past eight years, I think that's more than enough time" A small laugh fell out of his lips as he spoke.

"I want to get married to you, I really really do, I just don't want it to be in a few hours" I told with a sigh, closing my eyes as I spoke.

"Eliza, if you really don't want to then that's fine, I've waited years, what's a few more months? But, look, I" He took a deep breath, rubbing his eyes with his hands "I just didn't want us to have the press watching us, they've been so hard on you recently and I, I didn't want that to ruin our wedding, cause if we get married at home, that's exactly what will happen. I thought that if, if we got married here then we wouldn't have that stress. I wanted you to be happy but I think I've kind of ballsed that up"

I moved across the bed, placing my head on his chest and wrapping my body around his. I hadn't really thought about that side of things, but he was completely right, getting married in London would be absolutely horrible.

"Can we have a party when we're home? Almost a pretend wedding" I asked him quietly, I didn't dare look up at him, but I knew he was smiling.

"Of course we can darling, we can invite everyone you can think of" He told me, laughing lightly as he spoke.

"Okay" I nodded my head firmly, looking up to see a small smile decorating his lips "Looks like we're getting married in eight hours then"

"I erm, I went to your parents grave a few weeks ago" He said quietly, causing a deep frown to appear on my face "I wanted to make sure I did it all properly and ask your dad if I could marry you. He was rather on the quiet side" He paused to laugh, my own laughter joining his "But I left a bottle of Guinness there, so I reckon he would have said yes" 

"I know he would have said yes" I told him, giving him a reassuring nod of my head, he really was all I needed.

"Remember when we were in Devon?" I asked him, he nodded his head looking up at me with a slight frown "And you were writing that song you wouldn't tell me about? Well now you're about to be my husband, I think you should sing it to me, we can't have any secrets between us, after all"

"You're relentless, do you know that?" He laughed, a beautifully loud laugh as his face screwed up in happiness.

"Just the chorus then?" I reasoned, my own laughter cracking through my words.

"It's not finished, okay?" He told me as he got out of bed and walked across to pick up the guitar, he had insisted, come with us.

He sat himself on the edge of the bed, his hair messy and his eyes heavy from where he was so close to falling asleep. Strumming gently, he looked up to me, smiling, before dropping his attention back down to his guitar.

Tender is the night
Lying by your side
Tender is the touch
Of someone that you love too much
Tender is the day
The demons go away
Lord I need to find
Someone who can heal my mind

Come on, come on, come on
Get through it
Come on, come on, come on
Love's the greatest thing
Come on, come on, come on
Get through it
Come on, come on, come on
Love's the greatest thing
That we have
I'm waiting for that feeling
Waiting for that feeling to come

I knew he would be stubborn and wouldn't give me the whole song, but that was all I needed from him. It may have taken me years to realise, but everything seemed to have fallen into place, we were both exactly where we needed to be and Damon, for once, was completely right.

Love truly was the greatest thing.

   The End

A/N

And there you have you have it, 72,000 words later and the book is complete!

I cannot thank you all enough for every single read, comment and vote. They have all honestly meant so much to me and some of the comments have been absolutely amazing and have made me laugh so much!

I really do hope you have enjoyed the portrayal of Eliza, her adventures and romance with Damon.

If you enjoyed this story and want to see what Damon and Eliza get up to as parents, then the first chapter of 'When were together" the sequel to this story, has just gone live! As it is the first chapter of a new book any love you could give it would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you all so much, I am so unbelievably grateful for the love on this story!