Chapter Twenty-Two

"You've done it guys, you're number one" Our manager exclaimed, popping the cork on a bottle of champagne. Number one was amazing, but none of us were particularly happy about it.

"Come on guys, it's your first number one" He said eagerly, I gave him a forced smile and took a gulp from the bottle of champagne. All I could think about was Liam, I couldn't let this ruin what little friendship we currently have.

"I've got somewhere I need to be" I announced getting up from my seat and heading towards the door, I saw Damon frown at me but I had to ignore it, I could do without him getting pissed off at me. "I'll see you at top of the pops" I told them, giving a quick wave before I left.

"Don't be bloody late" I heard our manager shout behind me, I couldn't help but laugh, we all knew I'd be late.

"No promises" I shouted back to him.

I got my phone out from my pocket and dialled Liam's number, hoping like anything that he'd pick up.

"Eliza, I wasn't expecting to hear from you today" His voice chuckled through the phone, I bit down on my lip to try and contain my smile.

"You free for a drink?" I asked, cringing slightly at how desperate I sounded, I hoped he didn't view it like that.

"Can do, Groucho?"

"Yeah, I'm just leaving now"

"Sweet, see you in a bit"

And with that the line went dead. I took a deep breath and pushed through the large double doors and out into the busy London roads.

It was a strange feeling being number one, of course I was absolutely thrilled by it after all, all any musician wants is to be number one, but the 'battle of britpop' (as the media had started calling it) had just put such an unpleasant tone onto it all. It was hard to believe we had beaten a band as brilliant as oasis and I had an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach that we hadn't beaten them and some rather unorthodox bribery had been done. Even with all of these unsettled thoughts, I still planned on going mad tonight, after all I did have a number one to celebrate- regardless of how we may have gotten it.

I saw Liam as soon as I stepped into the bar, there was no mistaking his dark hair and moody face. I walked over to him and took the seat opposite him, giving him a smile as he pushed a drink towards me. I took a big sip from it, it may only be midday but god knows I needed it.

"Gin and lemonade" I mused with a smile "You remembered"

"I wasn't going to forget such a fucked up drink mix in a hurry" He said as he raised his eyebrows with a laugh.

We sat in a comfortable silence for a while, the Groucho was a fascinating place to be in, I wasn't often sober enough to realise it, but such an eclectic mix of people made for spectacular people watching.

"12 o'clock" I said quietly, making Liam's eyes land upon me, he frowned at me in confusion.

"What?"

"The person, at 12 o'clock" I told him, realising that I perhaps should have been clearer.

"What are you going on about?" He asked me, his eyebrows furrowing further with each word.

"For fucks sake Liam" I laughed, shaking my head "the person sat behind you"

He turned his head to observe them, before spinning round so he was facing me again.

"Right?" He questioned, clearly not seeing what I saw in that person. I laughed once again.

"Still here from last night or just arrived?" I asked him with a smile, the guy had been sat staring into his glass for quite some time. Sat in his own world in a way you only do if you're completely pissed drunk or stone cold sober. I didn't recognise him, but then again, I often didn't recognise many people. Alex told me I should network more, but I liked who I had around me and I didn't need to go out of my way searching for friendships.